follow MP on Twitter

MP's "Hero of the Day"

Change Page: 12345678 > | Showing page 1 of 8, messages 1 to 39 of 286
Portnoy

• Total Posts : 1849
MP's "Hero of the Day" Friday, June 29, 2001 7:26 PM (permalink)
posted 02-26-2001 01:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Saturday's was TIM ROBBINS (watched "Bob Roberts")
2. Sunday's was KEVIN SMITH (started watching the animated Clerks DVD)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posted 02-26-2001 10:40 PM
COLONEL LES CLAYPOOL'S FEARLESS FLYING FROG BRIGADE
performing Pink Floyd's Animals in its entirety! (God, I Love(d?) Napster!)

[ 04-06-2001: This Message Was Edited By: ]

OLIVER STONE
Caught alot of "Any Given Sunday" last night for the 2nd time and like all of his movies, couldn't take my eyes off the screen...
Just got the 11 disc DVD Box Set of his and I'm looking foward to digging into all those films again...

posted 03-01-2001 03:06 PM
ROINE STOLT
...for the fat, kick ass mix on the new TransAtlantic Live CD! I just got the finished product in the mail this morning and I'm pumped!

For any of you that were put off by the mix (or non-exisistance of one) on the Live VHS, forget about it...THIS IS THE REAL DEAL!! Order it now, it truly rocks!

posted 03-03-2001 10:03 PM
DWEEZIL AND AHMET ZAPPA
Been listening to the many different versions of their famous giant medleys that I have....These are absolutely pure genius!!!

posted 03-05-2001 01:53 AM
easy one today.....hands down:
THE SOPRANOS

The King of TV is back! (and the wicked witch is dead!)
It's good to have ya back...it was a very long 11 months without you!

posted 03-05-2001 05:33 PM
QUEEN
Live at Earl's Court 1977
(thanks Napster! I've been on a downloading binge for days stocking up in case they get shut down!!)

posted 03-07-2001 11:25 PM
TENACIOUS D
JB & KG Rule!!!!!!!!
I am so into these guys.....I've gotten so much milage out of my beat up videos of the old HBO shows and my homemade compilation CD's.

Most of you are probably not hip to the D yet, but with their first album and a movie due out this year, remember where you heard it first!

MP

posted 03-09-2001 03:11 AM
MR. BUNGLE
Live in Berkeley, CA 1991

One of my favorite bands of the decade....the cream of the crop...the weirdest of the weird....the sickest of all!
They were doing Slipknot when Slipknot were still in Junior High School!

This is what Frank Zappa's music would have sounded like if he grew up on Slayer!

posted 03-10-2001 02:00 PM
went and saw the mighty
PANTERA

last night at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC

After all these years, they are still stronger than all

MP

posted 03-16-2001 03:19 PM
THE RUTLES
"All You Need is Cash" has finally been released on DVD!!! (with some great extras!)

This is an equally great "mockumentary" to Spinal Tap (and this came first)!
An all time favorite of mine!

Cheese and Onions (O-no)
MP

posted 03-18-2001 03:08 AM
PHISH
Watched "Bittersweet Motel" tonight...
I don't think the film captured any of their great musical moments, but an interesting watch regardless....(the DVD has some great bonus tracks too)

posted 03-20-2001 02:15 AM
ANDY DICK
I was a bit sceptical at first, because nobody will top Tom Green in my book...but after 3 episodes, I can now safely say this guy is totally hilarious!

There have been a bunch of skits that had me totally cracking up out loud (Cribs parody, Fear parody, BoogieMan, Moby Dick)

Great - Just what I needed...another show to tape every week!!

MP

posted 03-24-2001 08:33 PM
DANCER IN THE DARK
I've been a Lars Von Trier fan for a while (loved Breaking The Waves and The Kingdom), and this was just as great.

I have a whole new liking for Bjork whom I was never really a fan of...

MP

posted 03-25-2001 02:08 AM
OSCAR DE LA HOYA
I don't care how jealous people are of him...the man is still one of the best out there!
(and Arturo Gatti had tremendous heart as always)

MP

posted 03-26-2001 07:39 PM
STEVEN SODERBERGH
You should have seen me jumping for joy when his name was announced last night!
He TOTALLY deserved this oscar, but I figured he was going to cancel himself out of the vote....

I also have to give credit to the Academy for having the sense (and balls) to recognize his achievements this year...
(also check out "The Limey" from a couple years back)

MP

Trivia - Did you know he directed Yes' 9012 Live video!

posted 03-31-2001 02:16 AM
the late great Polish Director
KRZYSZTOF KIESLOWSKI
After working my way through all 10 hours of the Brilliant "Decalogue" films on tour last year, I am now finally getting to catch up with his Three Colors Trilogy.(watched "White" tonight)

Surely not for everybody's taste...but I am definitely in tune with him!
A bit of a modern day Hitchcock....

MP

posted 04-02-2001 01:14 AM
MEMENTO
...raf os 1002 fo mlif tseb eht ylisaE
!suinegni yletelpmoc dna yletulosbA
!!WOW

PM

posted 04-06-2001 04:30 PM
PLAYBOY MAGAZINE
for their *awesome* interview with Metallica in the latest issue....

Never before have I seen Metallica exposed so openly and honestly (for better or for worse!!)....

Oh...and the rest of the magazine has some other interesting articles as well...

MP

posted 04-11-2001 05:24 PM
Warning: possible controversial entry ahead!
MUDVAYNE

Just picked up the DVD for the Dig video....this is some crazy shit!!!
Yes, it is gimmicky...but still I can't look away!
Kinda reminds me of something between Slipknot, Pantera and Tool...

Mark my words...they are totally destined for hugeness in the coming months! (and then I wont like them anymore!!)

MP

posted 04-18-2001 01:46 PM
JOEY RAMONE
Believe it or not, for a period around 1980 & 1981 - The Ramones were my #1 favorite band. I saw them live many times back then - and somewhere here in my house I have a great picture of me and the 4 of them from when I was 13 years old...meeting them at that stage of my life was like meeting the Beatles or Kiss...If I ever dig up that picture I will post it here..

8/13/03 - FOUND IT!!

R.I.P. Joey

Gabba Gabba Hey!

MP

posted 04-22-2001 12:32 AM
TOM GREEN
Yes....."Freddie Got Fingered" may be the worst, most ridiculous, totally over the top, STUPIDEST movie ever made....but I still loved every minute of it!!

Sorry...but I love the guy and he still totally cracks me up no matter how over the line he steps..

Thank god for the MTV show re-runs which I can still never get enough of!

MP

posted 04-30-2001 05:19 PM
RADIOHEAD
(Actually, I cannot name how many times these guys have been my heroes of the day!)

I've been digging the hell out of my advance CD of June's "Amnesiac"...

Still not quite "OK" or "Bends" (then again, how can any band do that everytime out?), but some real great stuff on here...

Hope I'll be around to catch a show this summer....

MP

posted 05-03-2001 02:38 AM
VINCENT GALLO
Rewatched "Buffalo '66"....What a totally unique film...very David Lynch at times...

Best use of a Progressive Rock Classic in film history (the Heart of the Sunrise sequence)

MP

posted 05-07-2001 11:32 AM
ELTON JOHN & BILLY JOEL
Went to see them live in Syracuse this past weekend....
Definitely one of the best show I have ever seen!!

Nothing but hits and amazing music...song after song...and to see them play together and sing each other's song's was totally spine tingling!

MP

posted 05-10-2001 01:29 AM
REPULSION
Roman Polanski's Classic Psycho-drama which I haven't seen in a good 10 years or so. (thanks IFC!)

A cross between Hitchcock, Lynch and the Coen Bros.....this definitely had to have influenced "Eraserhead".
Not for the squeemish!

MP

posted 05-12-2001 01:51 AM
LARRY DAVID
Watched a few episode's of HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" that I had on tape but hadn't seen yet.
What an awesome show!!

Any Seinfeld or Woody Allen fans out there that don't know about this show, tune in when the new season begins later this summer..

MP

posted 05-13-2001 02:14 PM
RADIOHEAD (again!)
Re-watched "Meeting People Is Easy" again last night....
This must be the most realistic documentation of what it is really like to be a band on the road. (the press, the soundchecks, the travelling, etc.)

I totally related to so much of it.
Even the venues they were playing were the exact same venues that DT have played...(Electric Factory in Philadelphia, Zeleste in Barcelona, Astoria in London, Zenith in Paris, Huxley's in Berlin, the venues in Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya & Fukuoka Japan....)
I could smell the dressing rooms just watching this movie!!

MP

posted 05-15-2001 09:02 PM
TOOL
Lateralus was finally released today....been waiting for this one for a few years.

Long songs, unorthodox arrangements, lots of odd time signatures, cool drumming....
(hmm...reminds me of another band I know!)
I'm glad to see success hasn't changed their style!

I can't really understand how mainstream America (Rolling Stone, USA Today, MTV, etc.) has embraced their progressive nature as much as they have, but still snub their noses at us!
(In fact, I think we are way more digestable!)

Anyways, I'm looking foward to enjoying this CD for the many months to come!

MP

posted 05-16-2001 09:17 PM
WEEZER
This was the *other* big release yesterday that I was looking foward to for a while...(actually even longer than Tool...5 Years between CD's!!)

I know....many of you die-hard proggers out there are probably scratching your head and asking "why???"
But I love these guys! I was a big fan of their 1st CD.

I have a soft spot for *good* power pop (Ben Folds Five, Foo Fighters and yes, sometimes even Green Day!!)

Sorry!

MP

posted 05-23-2001 08:09 PM
MARILLION & PORCUPINE TREE
I had the great fortune of being able to go see this show tonight while still in Paris...(at Le Bataclan no less....home of "Once in a Livetime")

It was great to see both bands on the same stage (actually a perfect double bill) and getting to spend some time with all my friends in both bands...

PS - Special "Heroes of the Week" awards go to:
Stephane & Sebastian from Your Majesty in France and Savvas, Chris & Nicholas from Infinate Dreams in Greece....
All of you did great jobs coordinating the DT Fan conventions and made mine and Marlene's stays very enjoyable!! Thanks!

MP

posted 05-26-2001 03:36 AM
REQUIEM FOR A DREAM
This was *hands down* my favorite film of 2000 and it was finally released on DVD this past week packed with all kind of extras!

This film is an incredibly intense experience from start to finish and has some of the most incredible visuals I've ever seen...

Darren Aronofsky has now been added along side of Paul Thomas Anderson as my favorite new Director out there.

MP

posted 05-31-2001 01:00 AM
SPOCK'S BEARD
Just finished watching the "Making of V" video that Neal sent me....what a great and very thorough look into the creating and recording process of the band. (I hope Neal does one of these with his TA2 footage)

It also reminded me of how much I LOVE this CD.... it is really a masterpiece!

MP

KaZaA
I have spent WAY too much time the past few days downloading stuff off of here!
There is sooo much cool video stuff available I am having a field day!

This is better than Napster because it's filled with audio, video, images, etc.

I must thank (or blame) Kasper for turning me onto it!

MP

posted 06-11-2001 03:24 PM
SIX FEET UNDER
I held off on mentioning its premiere last week because I was still a little unsure about my feelings on it...

After last night's 2nd episode, I can now safely say I think HBO has another winner!

The performances and the writing is top notch to satisfy my Sopranos void and it's quirky and dreamy enough to satisfy my Twin Peaks void.

MP

posted 06-18-2001 02:28 AM
STANLEY KUBRICK
Well, actually he is one my top 3 heros in my whole lifetime....
but this particular week I must mention him because I just watched the new 2.5 hour documentary on him (A Life in Pictures) and it was an amazing look into his life and his career that has rarely been shown elsewhere.

He really is one of 3 or 4 people that I call God and he was a true inspiration on every single ounce of creativity in my body...

...and the strangest coincidence of all is that he died the same day my son Max was born! It was one of the happiest days of my life and one of the saddest at the same time...

MP

posted 06-21-2001 08:33 PM
STATE AND MAIN
Watched this excellent movie last night....
Really enjoyed the screenplay and the performances (utilizing 3 actors from PT Anderson's clan)

One of the best Hollywood satires I've seen since "The Player"

MP
< Message edited by Portnoy -- 8/13/2003 2:27:03 PM >

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Tuesday, July 03, 2001 5:01 AM (permalink)
    STEVEN SPIELBERG

Saw "A.I." tonight on my night off here in Salt Lake City and I absolutely loved it....

It totally confirmed in my mind that now without Kubrick alive, he is the greatest living filmmaker today. (I will debate anybody on that!)

Sadly, this is the final chapter in Kubrick's career, but I think Spielberg payed quite a tribute with this film....even looking and pacing itself at times like a cross between 2001 and A Clockwork Orange.

The final 5 minutes had me in tears... :(

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Monday, July 09, 2001 7:29 PM (permalink)
      SE7EN

Watched this again for the ? time on the tourbus the other night and was still as blown away as the 1st time...

Everything about this film is so well done.
      I think this is one of the greats of the 90's and David Fincher's masterpiece so far. (although Fight Club came close at times)

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Wednesday, July 25, 2001 3:53 AM (permalink)
        BULLY

Every year there are one or two new films that completely push the limits and boundries...(Requiem For A Dream, Happiness, Gummo, Trainspotting, etc.)
        This is 2001's entry.

A cross between "River's Edge" and "Kids" (same writer and director)

Proceed with caution!

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Wednesday, August 08, 2001 3:05 AM (permalink)
          RADIOHEAD

(for the 3rd time!! My first Hero Hat Trick!!)

Jordan and I saw them tonight at Madison Square Garden and it was one of the best shows I've seen in a long time.

The live reproduction of some of the new songs was very impressive and the experimental instrumentation was amazing! (shows how much attention I pay to drummers, as he is their weakest link and I could care less!)

I think they have become one of my very favorite bands of the past 10 years!
          Truly inspiring and breathtaking.

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Thursday, August 09, 2001 4:37 PM (permalink)
            TENACIOUS D

YES!!!! I finally got the advance CD of their upcoming debut.
            Prepare for the D to take over the world!!
            (I guess I'll have to share em now!)

All of their classic songs that I've been digging bootlegs of for years are here - beautifully recorded and with full band arrangements!
            I'll be getting milage out of this one for a while...

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Monday, August 20, 2001 4:43 PM (permalink)
              TRAFFIK

While out here on my Asian Clinic tour, I'm finally getting the chance to watch this 6 hour British mini-series which inspired the American remake (with a C)..

It doesn't have Soderbergh's innovative technique or a great all star cast, but this version is totally gripping and enjoyable!

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Monday, August 27, 2001 9:05 AM (permalink)
                RUSH

To be honest, I really had lost alot of interest in them the past 10 years or so...but today on my flight to China, I listened to a boot from ALLENTOWN, PA 9/30/80 (thanks Setlist Scotty) and it reminded me why I used to love them so much!!

All of the old classic stuff (By Tor, 2112, Hemispheres, Xanadu, etc...) reminds me so much of DT at times....(yes, I know it's the other way around...but we are still writing stuff like this, not them!)

I really think DT needs to tour with them in 2002!!!!!!!
                C-mon, it's about time guys!!

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Saturday, September 01, 2001 3:28 AM (permalink)
                  BEN FOLDS

Totally digging the first solo album from the leader of one of my favorite (unfortunately now defunct) bands of recent times....

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Wednesday, September 05, 2001 11:16 PM (permalink)
                    SYSTEM OF A DOWN

Their new CD is great....
                    Serj Tankian's vocals are so incredibly bizarre and original...kinda like a weird combination of Mike Patton and some strange Hungarian Folk music!!

Definitely one of the most original of all the "new" Metal shit that's out there..

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Tuesday, September 18, 2001 4:39 AM (permalink)
                      MIKE PATTON

(....speaking of which!)

I got a great video while in Japan a few weeks ago of a German TV special on both Fantomas and Mr. Bungle (one of my all time favorites....but you already knew that)....
                      It has interviews and great live footage of both bands and Fantomas do an incredible Slayer medley!

Fantomas' new CD Director's Cut is totally insane as well....
                      (Bizarre interpretations of various movie themes ranging from The Godfather to Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me)

I think Mike Patton is now up there as one of my favorite artists out there at the moment...

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Thursday, September 20, 2001 2:39 AM (permalink)
                        THE WHO - LIVE AT LEEDS

One of the greatest live albums of all time just got even greater!!
                        (I should write their ad campaign....)

A new 2 CD version of the entire concert was just released and it totally rules!!
                        This is them totally in their prime and they are playing great!!
                        (even Keith is surprisingly tight and his drums never sounded this good.)

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Monday, October 01, 2001 12:19 AM (permalink)
                          HUDSON MUSIC

I just approved the test discs of the LIQUID DRUM THEATER DVD's...and they are AWESOME!!!! (If I may say so myself!)

I'm not sure of the release date, but I think it is in the coming weeks (sometime in Oct...)

For those of you not "in the know", it is a 2 Disc set with the same programs as the LDT Videos, but also has:
                          a) 2 full length running audio commentaries by yours truly
                          b) Multiple camera switching options on several songs (Biaxident, When The Water Breaks, Home and The Dance of Eternity)
                          c) Bonus Live Footage (Paradigm Shift and Lines in the Sand - both in their entirety)
                          d) photo gallerie
                          and a few other awesome features.....
                          (even just having chapter selections on this is great in itself!)

Enjoy!
                          MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Tuesday, October 02, 2001 3:29 AM (permalink)
                            BRIAN DePALMA

One of my favorite directors of all time (#7 to be precise! )

Special Edition DVD's were just released of Carrie and Dressed To Kill, both with great extra features...

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Friday, October 05, 2001 2:30 AM (permalink)
                              WILLIAM H. MACY

Watched "Panic" tonight...yet another great performance!

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Monday, October 08, 2001 12:42 AM (permalink)
                                CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM

So far, the new season has been hilarious!
                                Tonight's episode (Cobb Salad, Trick or Treat) was a classic!
                                This has to be the funniest comedy since Seinfeld hands down..

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Thursday, October 11, 2001 11:02 AM (permalink)
                                  MEGADETH

Went and saw them last night in Hartford, CT....
                                  Was great to see them again...great set list...played so much of the classic old stuff.

Cheers to my friends Dave, David, Al and Jimmy for being so hospitable to me and Marlene as well....

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Saturday, October 13, 2001 1:17 PM (permalink)
                                    OYSTERHEAD

It's funky (Les), it's trippy (Trey), it's groovy (Stewart).......
                                    Need I say more?

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Tuesday, October 16, 2001 3:49 AM (permalink)
                                      JANE'S ADDICTION

Went and saw em tonight at Madison Square Garden.
                                      It was great to see one of my favorite bands *OF ALL TIME* together again and back in action!

And they sounded and looked great! (I saw them many times way back in the Nothing's Shocking days circa 1988 or so.....)
                                      The stage show was totally original and "Ted, Just Admit It" and "Three Days" gave me goosebumps!

How about a new studio album???

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Thursday, October 25, 2001 4:13 PM (permalink)
                                        PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON

Watched some of "Magnolia" again for the ??th time....
                                        I am in awe of this guy.....he is *truly* one of my biggest HEROS of the last decade!
                                        He and Tarantino hold the distinction of the only directors having 2 films each in my top 10 films of the 90's....(but I hold Anderson in even higher regard)

Everything about the way he makes films is totally inspiring to me.
                                        His acting teams are the best out there (Reilly, Macy, Hoffman, Moore, Hall, etc.), his use of music, his dialogue is perfect and his visual direction is absolutely brilliant.

Cannot wait for the next one.....

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Sunday, October 28, 2001 4:48 AM (permalink)
                                          THE CONCERT FOR NYC

I know I'm a week late on this (I was in Mexico and only got to watch the tape tonight)....but there were some really great moments throughout this broadcast.

Musically I really enjoyed Billy Joel, of course Paul McCartney, and especially The Who....
                                          but my favorite moments were the great films by Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese, Spike Lee, Kevin Smith and Jerry Seinfeld.

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Tuesday, October 30, 2001 1:19 AM (permalink)
                                            THE COEN BROTHERS

Went to the private screening tonight of "The Man Who Wasn't There".
                                            It was great! Shot in beautiful Black & White and great performances by Billy Bob Thornton and James Gandolfini.

Also at the screening were Joel & Ethen themselves as well as Holly Hunter and Jennifer Jason Leigh!

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Saturday, November 03, 2001 9:39 PM (permalink)
                                              MONSTERS, INC.

Another great one from Pixar!
                                              Just as good as Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and A Bug's Life...(of course the kids loved it and I'll now be seeing this movie another 50 times in the next year!!)

Cheers to one of my indie favorites Steve Buschemi for landing this gig!!

And oh yeah.....the Episode II trailer RULED!!!!

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Thursday, November 08, 2001 12:27 AM (permalink)
                                                These 2 entries are actually overdue as I've been digging these CD's for months:

NEAL MORSE

His new solo CD "It's Not Too Late" is another example of his songwriting genius and why he is one of my favorite musicians in the world right now....
                                                The lyrics to "Leah", "Broken Homes" and "I Am Your Father" are so incredibly heartfelt they bring tears to my eyes.....
                                                In a perfect world, an album like this should've catapulted Neal into the league of pop artists like Don Henley and Bruce Springsteen....

THE FLOWER KINGS

I am totally enjoying the hell out of "The Rainmaker"......It may be my favorite FK album to date....
                                                The songwriting is great, the performances are great and the production is great...
                                                Definately check out the limited edition 2 CD version......The bonus track "One Whole Half" is worth the price of admission alone....

I'm looking foward to spending the next 2 weeks with Neal and Roine on the TransAtlantic tour of Europe.....It is my honor and privilege to share the stage with such talent!

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Wednesday, November 14, 2001 7:42 PM (permalink)
                                                  YES

We (TransAtlantic) went to see Yes (and Symphony) tonight on our night off on Frankfurt, Germany.

"The Gates of Delirium" was worth the night in itself....

Got to spend some good time with Alan White and Chris Squire afterwards (and briefly Steve Howe) which was nice...

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Sunday, November 18, 2001 9:47 PM (permalink)
                                                    COLDPLAY

I cannot stop listening to the "Parachutes" CD....these melodies have some serious hooks...kinda Dave Matthews Band meets Radiohead.

I know these guys were last year's news, but better late than never!

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Sunday, November 25, 2001 3:24 AM (permalink)
                                                      FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA

First, the release of the *amazing* Godfather Trilogy DVD Box Set last month...and now this month, the DVD release of his other masterpiece Apocalypse Now (the new Redux version)....

I believe FFC deserves the DVD MVP award of 2001!

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Monday, November 26, 2001 3:20 AM (permalink)
                                                        THE MIND OF A MARRIED MAN

Tonight was the season finale... I've been following this show all season long and loving it. (man, HBO can't miss!!!)
                                                        Very Woody Allen-esque at times...

Also the cameo on tonight's season finale to Curb Your Enthusiasm was a very cool touch!

PS to any married men - don't watch this show with your wife!!!!

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Thursday, November 29, 2001 11:00 PM (permalink)
                                                          JACK BLACK

He's been half a hero twice now with Tenacious D, but today he finally attains full solo hero status!

Finally got around to seeing "Shallow Hal" tonight and congrats go out to Jables for carrying the entire new Farrelly Bros film! (a heavy load too!!)

Between this star-making role and the D currently on the road opening for Weezer (man, I'd love to see that one!), JB should finally get the recognition he deserves!

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Friday, November 30, 2001 12:23 PM (permalink)
                                                            GEORGE HARRISON

What can I say?
                                                            This is a very dark day for me and all other Beatles fans around the world....

MP

Portnoy

• Joined: 5/18/2002
                                                              RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Tuesday, December 04, 2001 3:44 AM (permalink)
                                                              TODD HAYNES & JULIANNE MOORE

Watched "Safe" again tonight for the first time since it came out....

Brilliant, incredibly Kubrick-like direction by Haynes and a tour-de-force performance by Moore.

The pacing and subject matter may be tough for some to tolerate though...

MP

Portnoy

• Status: offline
                                                                RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Friday, December 07, 2001 2:17 PM (permalink)
                                                                HAROLD AND MAUDE

Caught the last half of this last night on IFC (for the 100th time!)
                                                                It is still one of my *all time* favorite movies!!!

I think Cat Steven's music in it must be the greatest use of Rock music in a film ever! (and strangely, there was never a soundtrack album)

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Saturday, December 08, 2001 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                                                  CAPTAIN VERNON RICHARD

He was an aquaintance of mine and a firefighter who lost his life in the World Trade Center on September 11th 2001.

Today I attended his memorial service which served as a bold reminder of the horrors of that tragic day as well as the need to seize each and every day of our precious lives.

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Sunday, December 09, 2001 11:35 PM (permalink)
                                                                    FATES WARNING

Listened to "Awaken The Guardian" today for the first time in ages....
                                                                    It reminded me that this is one of my favorite metal albums of all time and in my book, it sits right beside Metallica's "Master of Puppets" as one the best metal album of the 80's....

John Arch's totally original voice and haunting melodies were one of a kind and Jim Matheos' riffs were so incredibly cool and heavy.
                                                                    This was back in the day when they sounded more like Rush meets Black Sabbath than Marillion meets Queensryche...(not that there's anything wrong with that - it's just that *this* is the Fates Warning that I fell in love with.....)

Those were the days!

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Wednesday, December 12, 2001 4:08 AM (permalink)
                                                                      CHRISTOPHER NOLAN

Memento's director proved to me that he's not just a one-hit wonder and is one of the brightest new talents in film today with the DVD release of his first film "Following".

It also proves that Memento wasn't as original as I thought, because it turns out he had already made a film that was as equally unique in structure....(it's just that nobody knew it existed!), as this film also utilizes the same non-linear storytelling technique.

The DVD also has a feature that can play the film back in chronogical order as well....which is a feature I was praying the Memento DVD would have but didn't....(hopefully they'll re-release a new Special Edition some day!)

Bonus Hero of the day:

Speaking of first films....I recently acquired copies of one of my bigtime film heroes PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON's first 2 short films.

The first is a homemade video version of "The Dirk Diggler Story" that he made when he was 17 years old...and the second is his short film "Cigarettes and Coffee" which features a great performance by PTA regular Philip Baker Hall.

Anybody jealous?

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Sunday, December 16, 2001 2:04 AM (permalink)
                                                                        VANILLA SKY

Absolutely f*cking brilliant!!!!
                                                                        I thoroughly enjoyed every single second of this masterpiece! (although more traditional movie goers expecting another Jerry Maguire are going to be scratching their heads in total disappointment....)

This film was the biggest head trip I've seen since Jacob's Ladder (with a bit of the Usual Suspects thrown in)...I cannot wait to see it again....

As always, Cameron Crowe's taste in music is awesome...from the opening chords of Radiohead to the Beach Boys to one of my favorite new bands of the year, Sigur Ros.....

Damn this was good!

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Wednesday, December 19, 2001 1:02 AM (permalink)
                                                                          DAVID LYNCH

(Anybody who knows me should know he has always been one of my ALL TIME heros for many many years now)

Well - as if my head wasn't spinning enough this week from the mindtwisters of "Following" and "Vanilla Sky"....I FINALLY got to see "Mulholland Drive" tonight!!
                                                                          This is possibly the longest a Lynch film was ever in theaters before I got to see it!!

Wow....My head is still spinning!
                                                                          Like all of his films, I'll need to see it a few more times to try to tie it all together...(although there were times I wondered if even *he* knows what the story is doing!!)

And also - today was the big, long-awaited day in DVD land....
                                                                          the release of the first season of Twin Peaks!!!!
                                                                          Of course, many of you know this is my favorite show EVER (hell, I even have a Twin Peaks/ Log Lady tattoo!!), so I've been waiting for this for a while....(even though I have the entire 2 seasons on Laserdisc already!)

So far on first glance, the extras look very promising! Lotsa commentaries and documentaries...
                                                                          (But the most noticable thing missing is the Pilot and a commentary from Lynch himself....????)
                                                                          Regardless, I cannot wait to revisit these episodes again!!!

The owls are not what they seem.....

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Monday, December 24, 2001 5:10 PM (permalink)
                                                                            HBO'S PROJECT GREENLIGHT

I've been thoroughly enjoying this latest HBO documentary series which shows the most honest and indepth look at the job I would most likely have had if I didn't already do what I do....

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidaze to you all!!

MP

Portnoy

RE: MP's "Hero of the Day" Monday, December 31, 2001 3:16 AM (permalink)
                                                                              RICHARD LINKLATER

Saw "Waking Life" tonight....totally "Slacker" on acid!

Probably the deepest and most profound movie I've ever seen on dreams....Linklater is as much a philosopher as he is a filmmaker.

MP

#39
                                                                                Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                                                Change Page: 12345678 > | Showing page 1 of 8, messages 1 to 39 of 286

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                                                • No New Messages
                                                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                                                • Read Message
                                                                                • Post New Thread
                                                                                • Reply to message
                                                                                • Post New Poll
                                                                                • Submit Vote
                                                                                • Post reward post
                                                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                                                • Rate post

All Design and Content are Copyright mikeportnoy.com and NOT for use on other web sites.
                                                                                website credits
                                                                                2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.8