follow MP on Twitter

Soccer in Washington DC - DC United

voodoo

• Total Posts : 3593
Soccer in Washington DC - DC United Tuesday, May 05, 2009 10:00 AM (permalink)
Thought about putting this in the soccer discussion thread but that is dominated by European fans, and I though this deserved its own thread.

DC United is an original member of Major League Soccer and is in danger of getting run out of DC.  Fans of DC United have organized a "Keep United In DC" rally for Saturday May 9 in DC.  Not sure how many people on this forum are near DC, or even fans of Major League Soccer, but I thought it important I spread the word.  Please pass this along if you are so inclined.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the spam.

DC United rally info
As long as I got rock n roll, I'm forever young

NickG

• Total Posts : 2492
    Re:Soccer in Washington DC - DC United Tuesday, May 05, 2009 10:08 AM (permalink)
    Why are they running them out of DC? Is it just to move them to Prince George? Wouldn't that keep them in the DC area, at least?

Rane

• Total Posts : 17054
      Re:Soccer in Washington DC - DC United Tuesday, May 05, 2009 10:09 AM (permalink)
      Why do soccer teams use the word "United." I don't understand that. Can someone explain?

voodoo

Re:Soccer in Washington DC - DC United Tuesday, May 05, 2009 10:14 AM (permalink)
        Rane

Why do soccer teams use the word "United." I don't understand that. Can someone explain?

I think it began a long time ago when 2 groups united to form one team.

voodoo

Re:Soccer in Washington DC - DC United Tuesday, May 05, 2009 10:17 AM (permalink)
          NickG

Why are they running them out of DC? Is it just to move them to Prince George? Wouldn't that keep them in the DC area, at least?

Well, there was hope that a spot in DC near the new National's stadium would work but that fell through for a variety of reasons.  Then there was hope that a spot in PG county would work but after county exec's had originally agreed to look at the possibility they did an about face and won't even consider it.  Currently DC United play at RFK stadium but are loosing a bunch of $$ every year because they don't control the revenue.  It seems that because of all the issues they are having a move outside of the DC area is looming.

NickG

Re:Soccer in Washington DC - DC United Tuesday, May 05, 2009 11:02 AM (permalink)
            Hmm. How far outside? With the surge in US Soccer right now, it might be worthwhile to build a smaller stadium specifically for MLS.

voodoo

Re:Soccer in Washington DC - DC United Tuesday, May 05, 2009 11:06 AM (permalink)
              NickG

Hmm. How far outside? With the surge in US Soccer right now, it might be worthwhile to build a smaller stadium specifically for MLS.

That was the plan, to build a 22,000 - 25,000 seat stadium near Poplar Point in DC or near a Metro stop in PG County.  But the powers that be don't like the idea.  I understand the hesitation in this economy but it's a difficult pill to swallow when promises had been made then rescinded.  True politics at work.

NickG

Re:Soccer in Washington DC - DC United Tuesday, May 05, 2009 11:24 AM (permalink)
                That's all it is. Politics. Seattle Sounders have attendance rivaling The Boston Red Sox, so it can't be denied that Soccer's on its way up. Sounds to me like there's someone waiting for the right kickbacks before a new stadium gets put into motion.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

All Design and Content are Copyright mikeportnoy.com and NOT for use on other web sites.
                  website credits
                  2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.8