follow MP on Twitter

My need to defend MP.

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 39 of 100
charles827

• Total Posts : 626
My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 10:09 AM (permalink)
In the recently concluded PSMS show here in Manila (which I wasn't able to watch), MP had, for lack of a better term, a "meltdown" during their set. Or was it soundcheck? Not really sure. There's a video of it on youtube. It seems like the actual set but according to the description this was during soundcheck. I'd love to post it but it might violate forum rules.

Basically from what I heard, our Filipino techs failed to set it up right before the show started. So everything was kinda rushed pre-show. Mics and stands weren't set up properly, so the show was bound to be disrupted by technical problems. You get the gist.

MP gets pissed mid-set/soundcheck. He takes it out on the cymbal stands and whatnot. The Filipino's on the interwebz react negatively to it. Though petty, I can't help but defend MP on this.

Here's the thing, you finally get to play a country you've been wanting to play in for so long, then they give you THAT, you're bound to be frustrated and disappointed. One of the youtube comments said it really well, You guys are supposed to be catering to a world class drummer yet you set up his gear as if it were just some amateur battle of the bands competition.

It just shows that we should be giving our best in what we do because there are other people who willingly their best for other people. From what I heard MP made amends with the crew, so it's all good.

MP, I would like to apologize on behalf of the Filipino's who dearly love you so much for that somewhat shitty incident that occured. I hope it doesn't ruin your view on our country because we would really love to have you perform once more here

Okay rant over. Now I can rest at peace.

TheRich13

• Total Posts : 911
    Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 10:12 AM (permalink)
    For MP to get pissed at anything it must've been pretty serious...For he is the friendliest, coolest, even keeled dude there is....
    My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
    My Mother irons, and my Father steals......!!!

Carpe PM !!! ....
    Seize the night !!!!

SeventhSon

• Total Posts : 5524
      Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 10:24 AM (permalink)
      Yeah, I figure is MP is getting pissed about such things it's just because he's dedicated to delivering the best possible performance that he can for the paying fans.  Equipment and stage production is part of the performance equation and if it is not done right it interferes with his ability to do his job.  I applaud him for his tenacity and don't blame him one bit if he goes off on people who fuck up his gig.
      "Elementary."
      "The second amendment is the last line of defense from a tyrannous government." - Ice-T
      "it's a sad time when actors are politicians and politicians are actors." - Jake Gyllenhaal

Portnoy

• Total Posts : 1845
        Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 10:50 AM (permalink)
        Not to excuse my actions, but at least to explain the situation:
        This PSMS tour has been VERY difficult on all of us in terms of gear and production. The only way we have been able to make it to such far away places such as Manila, Russia, Israel, Indonesia, etc (where it is normally VERY expensive to tour unless you are a "name" band that has been around for many years) is we've have had to make concessions by using supplied gear and local techs at each show.

Granted, WE agreed to these terms and are willing to make it work - however, on at least a half dozen occasions on this tour we have been incredibly frustrated to arrive at the venue only to find the band's gear requirements were simply blatantly ignored (wrong keyboards, wrong amps, Zildjian cymbals, etc) AND were not setup and ready for us as was supposed to be the case and what the promoters had promised.

We have been as patient and understanding as we possibly can be...but when you get 4 guys who haven't slept more than a couple of hours every night in order to fly to these shows without sleep...sometimes our patience can wear thin.

In the case of the Manila show, we arrived hours before the show to find out the drums weren't setup, cymbals were missing, Billy's amp was wrong (again) and Tony had a buzz on his gear that would not go away...but we forged ahead because we were VERY excited to play for the fans!

At the start of Stratus (where the video on youtube is from) - my snare drum mic fell off and I motioned for the tech to come put it back on the stand/drum...and instead, he comes up to the drum kit and takes the mic away...leaving me playing with NO snare mic!!! (you'll hear I begin playing the high tom instead of the snare)...realizing he had no idea what was going on or how to fix the situation, I stopped playing and did my little "rap" while they fixed the situation and we wouldn't have to play the whole song with no snare in the mix.

In the video, you can see I was at least making a joke out of it and wasn't maliciously trying to hurt anybody or storming off in anger.

Moral of the story: WE ARE HUMAN! And sometimes frustrating circumstances create frustrated behavior. I'm not saying I was right in stopping the song...but if you see a video from later in the show, you'll see I explain to the audience that I've been waiting my whole career to play in Manila and I wasn't going to let ANYTHING ruin my night or their show!!
        And we carried on and everybody had a great night...

And I look forward to returning...
        (although this may be the last time I tour without my own kit and my own drum tech...hahahaha!!!)

MP  

Chief Navajo

• Total Posts : 1340
          Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 10:54 AM (permalink)
          At least they didn't parade you on a truck under the rain for the delight of thousands of screaming fans.
          ...because life is precious, and God, and the bible.

TheRich13

• Total Posts : 911
            Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 10:56 AM (permalink)
            Still and always the true professional MP...
            My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
            My Mother irons, and my Father steals......!!!

Carpe PM !!! ....
            Seize the night !!!!

enchantgy

• Total Posts : 2166
              Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:04 AM (permalink)
              I think that you handled it really well Mike!

If I had been at the gig, I would not have been offended in any way!

robtubthumper

• Total Posts : 3
                Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:13 AM (permalink)
                I don't think any rational person would have done anything differently Mike !

I'm suprised you didn't feed him the microphone, from the wrong end !

Stay safe and continue to inspire !!!

Rob

sarcophage

• Total Posts : 1551
                  Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:24 AM (permalink)
                  Holy crap, what a class act!  The video does look like he's royally pissed/frustrated/tired (who wouldn't be!?)  but keeps it damn professional.  I dont' think I'd be able to do the same thing.  
                  "A toast... to a new world of gods and monsters..."

Tupaloop

• Total Posts : 1572
                    Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:26 AM (permalink)
                    Holy crap, that sounds like a frustrating situation, Mike. Hopefully you were able to laugh it all off when the Asian promoter named your band "Amazing Union". The expression on your face in that photo is priceless. 
                    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." Khalil Gibran

LiveTheDash

• Total Posts : 525
                      Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:29 AM (permalink)
                      sarcophage

Holy crap, what a class act!  The video does look like he's royally pissed/frustrated/tired (who wouldn't be!?)  but keeps it damn professional.  I dont' think I'd be able to do the same thing.  

Not sure I'd call knocking down the china cymbal and all the mic stands and calling out the crew's incompetence on the mic an example of a "class act".  With that said, I do understand his frustration and the incompetence that led to the actions.  It could've been a lot worse, he could've walked off the stage.  But he continued the show.   Not the classiest of moves from Mike, but given the situation somewhat understandable.

Twiddlenutz

• Total Posts : 7278
                        Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:31 AM (permalink)
                        Between this and the "Amazing Union" poster, wow.  As if things aren't difficult enough for the guys.  Sounds very frustrating.
                        2 Minutes to Maiden on Facebook
                        http://www.facebook.com/2minutestomaiden

Stadler

• Total Posts : 9744
                          Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:34 AM (permalink)
                          Another vote here for our man Mike.  I actually like that kind of stuff (when bands stop the song to get it right).  Shows they're human.  Chickenfoot did that when I saw them on their club tour (though for very different reasons) and it made the show REAL.  That's Mike's work, his office, even if he treats it as a passion instead of a job.  He's showing up to do his job, and it is not unreasonable at all to expect others to do theirs as well, especially if they are being paid for it (and presumably, they didn't bring PSMS in to lose money). 

If I was at the show, I think I'd have been more pissed at Mike if he half-assed it and let it all go as if it didn't matter.  THAT would have been something to have to defend! 
                          "A strong democracy is how it deals with the most unsavoury of ideas." - Dave from Manchester, 2014

charles827

• Total Posts : 626
                            Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:35 AM (permalink)
                            Goosebumps right now. To see MP himself reply! Thank you Mike for that! And thank you for giving the Philippines a chance!

Portnoy

• Total Posts : 1845
                              Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:41 AM (permalink)
                              charles827

Goosebumps right now. To see MP himself reply! Thank you Mike for that! And thank you for giving the Philippines a chance!

Well thank YOU for this thread!
                              Please pass my message on to the great Philippino fans...I tried to post this thread/link onto the YouTube page and for some reason it won't let me...???
                              MP

Stadler

• Total Posts : 9744
                                And I vehemently disagree with the notion that Mike wasn't "classy".  It's not a situation of "class".  What isn't "classy" is asking someone to fly halfway across the planet on a certain, clear expectation, then functionally ignoring it once the person arrives.  I understand it isn't the U.S. and standards are different, but had that happened in Detroit, he wouldn't likely have had any obligation to do anything except stand there and wait for it to be fixed.  It's easy and convenient to point fingers at Mike because he's the "celebrity".  One more example where "easy" and "convenient" doesn't mean "right". 

Regardless of any specific moment in time, what's "classy" is that he ultimately put himself out there and delivered on his obligations when he likely didn't have to.  Contrast that with Pete Townsend, Roger Waters and Axl Rose, who all famously walked off stage and refused to play because it was "too loud", the fans weren't pandering enough, and the opening act's singer almost burned his arm off and created a delay.
                                "A strong democracy is how it deals with the most unsavoury of ideas." - Dave from Manchester, 2014

DiosEol

• Total Posts : 897
                                  As frustrating as it was, that reaction was simply uncalled for and downright creepy.

Insulting the techs like that, no matter how mediocre and abysmal their performance was, made me cringe.

Mike will always be my hero and a role model in many aspects, but he lost the ball here. That video is not gonna bode well with his reputation.

Still, I get it, you guys have been touring under rough conditions.
                                  <message edited by DiosEol on Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:42 AM>

damnation1928

• Total Posts : 223
                                    Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:43 AM (permalink)
                                    Hi Mike, I was there at  the concert. I'm from the central part of the Philippines and I traveled just to see you guys play. The show encountered some hiccups but I was not disappointed. I hope to see more of you (fingers crossed) . And I hope to see you here again with your old friends .

MABUHAY!

Softball35

• Total Posts : 3174
                                      Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:45 AM (permalink)
                                      I understand lack of patience due to deprived sleep and experiencing frustration with a drum kit not setup properly show to show but saying "class act" is ridiculous. I saw Sonny Rollins in a venue where his saxophone mic stopped working and he tried to use an adjacent mic but it did not work out. Instead by the next song they were able to place a new mic on and the show went on. No thrown saxophones occurred. No mentions of the mistakes or mishaps. That's a class act to me.

Again I understand we all lose it time to time due to frustrations, lack of sleep, negative experiences in our lives and we all due things we probably regret later on. The dude wants to make the fans happy and perfect for them, i do admire that about him. That's cool and it happens but for people to say "what a class act" dor this isolated situation makes me laugh.

moogs

• Total Posts : 172
                                        Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:46 AM (permalink)
                                        I was at this show and obviously Mike was frustrated but actually made do with a bad situation. Part of live music I guess.  Went and did a "rap" and I actually though what he did was funny (in hindsight). He did say that it wasnt gonna ruin his night, and after that, the show did go on.

Again, to what lengths/sacrifices the guys had to go to make these shows happen is a testament to their desire in playing their hearts out to their fans. For that we thank you Mike, snare or no snare!
                                        1st DT Sighting - 1/23/2006, Hong Kong
                                        2nd DT Sighting - 1/17/2008, Singapore
                                        www.myspace.com/wolfgangband

emtee

• Total Posts : 13036
                                          Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:00 PM (permalink)
                                          Kinda sad to see one of the finest, most awarded drummers in modern rock history
                                          having to use local gear and techs. Everybody has a breaking point.

btw there are over 3K guests viewing this thread right now.

jehu12141987

• Total Posts : 563
                                            • Location: St. Augustine/Jacksonville, FL
                                            Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:22 PM (permalink)
                                            Mike was a total good sport at the gig I was in charge of in Jacksonville, and the PA the venue supplied was a complete Mickey Mouse set up. But, Mike did have Jose and Jerry Guidroz to work their magic on the sound and, by mid show, Mike was having a ball. (Or so it seemed)

Ytsejuhrummer

• Total Posts : 679
                                              Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:53 PM (permalink)
                                              Does he start the whole rap/rant (1:49 in the video) by saying, "Oh, ManiRRa"?!
                                              "Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain

Naigewron

• Total Posts : 9341
                                                Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:58 PM (permalink)
                                                Portnoy

charles827

Well thank YOU for this thread!
                                                Please pass my message on to the great Philippino fans...I tried to post this thread/link onto the YouTube page and for some reason it won't let me...???
                                                MP

Youtube doesn't allow links in comments. There used to be ways to get them to go through, but I believe they've patched most of them by now.
                                                w00t w00t!

Jonny108

• Total Posts : 781
                                                  Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:00 PM (permalink)
                                                  Throwing gear around that doesn't belong to you and shouting crap at the techies (even if they are bad).  Not cool in my opinion, no matter how stressed you are. Soz MP.
                                                  Hi, my name is Jon but you may call me Frank and I am an alcoholic.

songquester

• Total Posts : 688
                                                    Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:02 PM (permalink)
                                                    Yeah that can be really frustrating and the fact is you can play perfectly but if the techs don't do their job correctly it can still sound horrible.
                                                    EPOCH  SongQuest  The Hits  TimFranks
                                                    Heavy is my heart but it's alright

XCRestlessNative

• Total Posts : 90
                                                      Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:14 PM (permalink)
                                                      I guess some people just don't get it  

Crystal Silence

• Total Posts : 1243
                                                        Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:32 PM (permalink)
                                                        I'd say that I don't like it when the musicians stop in the middle of the song for some reason and start the same song again, but seeing that the rest of this band got it right, continued playing, never stopping... Wow, that's so cool...

As for the problem that MP outlined - it's basically the reason why lots of bands stop coming to our country. And that's so not cool...
                                                        Gagarin is in space! Hooray!

Smirnoff

• Total Posts : 3530
                                                          • Location: Chicago IL USA
                                                          Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:38 PM (permalink)
                                                          Not good. No need for that reaction. And the gear wasn't yours to abuse. We all had to play backline gigs many times and as much as it sucks, you push through and deal with hiccups the best you can. Hell, I had to pull off a 9mm gig with nothing but an old hi-hat the club had and a broken ride cymbal (which was NOT secured to the stand in any way, so crashing it was tricky). The club only had 1 cymbal stand, so I made it work. Was it frustrating? Definitely. But I certainly didn't throw a temper tantrum on stage (!) of all things. And you know what? It's just a damn snare mic falling off... Not a crisis by any stretch of imagination... :) Have a good night of sleep and lay off rock juice for a bit. Too much caffeine, I tell ya! ;)
                                                          Jeremy Smirnoff

drums, percussion

http://www.facebook.com/jeremy.smirnoff

Twiddlenutz

Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:44 PM (permalink)
                                                            Not seeing anything about abuse. 

What sort of drum tech would think that the drummer would want the mic removed from the snare?

Tensed Dreams

• Total Posts : 4321
                                                              • Joined: 5/23/2005
                                                              • Location: Denmark, Europe
                                                              Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:55 PM (permalink)
                                                              SeventhSon

Yeah, I figure is MP is getting pissed about such things it's just because he's dedicated to delivering the best possible performance that he can for the paying fans.  Equipment and stage production is part of the performance equation and if it is not done right it interferes with his ability to do his job.  I applaud him for his tenacity and don't blame him one bit if he goes off on people who fuck up his gig.

I agree with the above
                                                              4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 - Are you lost??

Tupaloop

• Total Posts : 1572
                                                                • Joined: 9/2/2008
                                                                • Status: offline
                                                                Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:03 PM (permalink)
                                                                Wow, some of you are being a bit hard on MP, don't you think? Judging by his post, he obviously regrets his behavior and explained why he became so frustrated. 

He is human and has bad days just like anyone else. Anyone who "knows" Mike knows that his reaction was very much out of character, so things must have been going pretty bad for them that night.

Mike has a pretty damn good track record of being a gentleman, so please give him a break. Why do some people think it's acceptable to judge and berate the man on his own forum? I'll never understand that.  
                                                                "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." Khalil Gibran

socool111

• Total Posts : 1954
                                                                  • Joined: 12/7/2006
                                                                  Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                                                  i like how this has 31 responses with 17,100 views 31/17100

guess that shows the difference between the forum and the world of twitter
                                                                  "True pond scum always rises to the top of the water, i however, am false pond scum and remain below"

DiosEol

• Total Posts : 897
                                                                    • Joined: 6/28/2005
                                                                    • Location: France, Colombia
                                                                    Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:12 PM (permalink)
                                                                    Smirnoff

Not good. No need for that reaction. And the gear wasn't yours to abuse. We all had to play backline gigs many times and as much as it sucks, you push through and deal with hiccups the best you can. Hell, I had to pull off a 9mm gig with nothing but an old hi-hat the club had and a broken ride cymbal (which was NOT secured to the stand in any way, so crashing it was tricky). The club only had 1 cymbal stand, so I made it work. Was it frustrating? Definitely. But I certainly didn't throw a temper tantrum on stage (!) of all things. And you know what? It's just a damn snare mic falling off... Not a crisis by any stretch of imagination... :) Have a good night of sleep and lay off rock juice for a bit. Too much caffeine, I tell ya! ;)

Stating your opinion is one thing. Everybody does it, that's what forums are for.

Going on about your musical life, drawing useless comparisons, putting yourself on the spotlight EVERY time you criticize MP ... totally unnecessary. 

You are not even remotely close in the same league, I don't care about your experience in the club, it's not relevant as you had not been travelling for over an entire month touring jetlagged.
                                                                    Every window you get to criticize MP it's also a window you use to put yourself in the spotlight.

I just hate that sir, it's not the first time.  Have a good day though . 
                                                                    <message edited by DiosEol on Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:15 PM>

The Fish

• Total Posts : 7708
                                                                      • Joined: 3/31/2006
                                                                      • Location: Ft. Wayne
                                                                      • Status: online
                                                                      Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:14 PM (permalink)
                                                                      I thought it was hilarious. I'm sure MP could come up with a replacement cymbal and stand. He's a big The Who fan....

SeventhSon

• Total Posts : 5524
                                                                        • Joined: 9/13/2004
                                                                        • Status: online
                                                                        Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:35 PM (permalink)
                                                                        BTW, that ad-lib rap Mike did about the situation was brilliant and turned a bad situation into an opportunity for some levity.  When life hands you lemons you have to make lemonade right?
                                                                        "Elementary."
                                                                        "The second amendment is the last line of defense from a tyrannous government." - Ice-T
                                                                        "it's a sad time when actors are politicians and politicians are actors." - Jake Gyllenhaal

Twiddlenutz

• Joined: 3/6/2003
                                                                          Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:39 PM (permalink)
                                                                          Word.

Tensed Dreams

• Total Posts : 4321
                                                                            • Joined: 5/23/2005
                                                                            • Location: Denmark, Europe
                                                                            Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:41 PM (permalink)
                                                                            Off topic, but:

Tupaloop

Why do some people think it's acceptable to judge and berate the man on his own forum? I'll never understand that.  

+1
                                                                            4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 - Are you lost??

Smirnoff

• Total Posts : 3530
                                                                              • Joined: 5/18/2002
                                                                              • Location: Chicago IL USA
                                                                              Re:My need to defend MP. Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:53 PM (permalink)
                                                                              Sorry, no spotlight is necessary for me. I am sure a vast majority of gigging drummers have stories of their own. I was simply providing an opinion that it was a bad call, as you have pointed out, MP himself added that the situation doesn't justify his outburst. No big deal. I am sure he had a bad day as we all do from time to time. And yes, when life throws lemons at you, you make lemonade. I was simply providing a perspective that I have dealt with a similar thing before and I have also witnessed other drummers, including some of my most admired players put there deal with technical issues, but I have never witnessed such outbursts of frustration. And you, Sir, don't seem to remember all the times I give a shout out to Mike for things he does great, such as his work on Flying Colors, and also especially for his interactions with me personally, which I have nothing negative to say about whatsoever! :)

Anyway, I hope the rest of the shows go on without these problems as the band and the lineup is absolutely amazing... I envy those who got to see any of these shows. No need to dwell on this hiccup here, let's continue a positive vibe here on the forum. Now that Mike has thrown in his two cents, it may be even a good idea to close the thread, as I am sure people will have their opinions but none of them change anything, considering Mike has explained himself - yet another thing I commend him for. Not trying to step on moderators' shoes here! ;) Move along, nothing to see here - I was just one guy providing a response to a conversation. Cheers! ;)
                                                                              Jeremy Smirnoff

drums, percussion

http://www.facebook.com/jeremy.smirnoff

#39
                                                                                Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                                                Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 39 of 100

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                                                • No New Messages
                                                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                                                • Read Message
                                                                                • Post New Thread
                                                                                • Reply to message
                                                                                • Post New Poll
                                                                                • Submit Vote
                                                                                • Post reward post
                                                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                                                • Rate post

All Design and Content are Copyright mikeportnoy.com and NOT for use on other web sites.
                                                                                website credits
                                                                                2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.8