follow MP on Twitter

Can I say something? (a note from Mike's sister)

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 39 of 126
Sam I Am

• Total Posts : 319
Can I say something? (a note from Mike's sister) Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:36 AM (permalink)
Before I write this, understand that this is MY statement.  Mike might kill me for speaking up, but I just can't sit by quietly.  I guess I'm like Mike in that way.

PLEASE stop reading between the lines with this whole situation. There is no hidden meaning in all of this (is there ever with Mike?  The guy is an open book with his fans!!).  Everything Mike said in his interview with Eddie Trunk, in his press release or otherwise is everything he has been saying to me for the past year, at least.  He LOVES the other (DT) guys and their families.  They have grown up together, married women that were (and are) best friends, have raised their kids as best friends.  They are family.  This was not an easy decision for him as a drummer, founding band member (and band leader) or person. 

Let's put 25 years into perspective.  I am 40.  I met John and John when I was 15.  How many friends do I still have that I have had to live AND work with for the past 25 years?  Not a single one.  I can't imagine looking at the same group of people for that many years and being able to come up with new, fun ideas (that will then be judged the world over).  My friends and I get stuck on doing the same things on random weekend gatherings!    

Remember, this is strictly my perspective here...

You'd think that being a rock star would be 100% fun 100% of the time.  But I know that Mike works extremely hard and takes every bit of this experience to heart.  You might think you know, but you have no idea (to borrow a line from Behind the Music).  It is a part of who he is as a person, it is definitely not just a job.  He's been running at a pace (WITH DREAM THEATER) most people couldn't keep up for a few months, much less 25 years.  He just wants a break.  He wants to have the chance to play with other musicians and be reminded of how special this all is.  He wants to have fun and not be in charge of every detail for a bit.  (And for those of you thinking he should just let others take the reins in DT, all I'll say is that you have no idea what you are talking about.) 

The way I see it, it's not a matter of Mike not wanting to be in DT (Remember, he DOES want to be in DT... he NEVER wanted or planned to leave the band).  Giving up Dream Theater must be like giving up a child for him.  I know it's been horribly painful.  But I am extremely proud of him for recognizing that he needs to be reinvigorated and for doing what he needs to do to make that happen.  You know Mike.  He does not do anything half-assed.  He wants every drop of music that Dream Theater releases to be perfect and fulfilling for everyone.  Right now, he is guaranteeing that he can't do that.  Maybe (apparently) the other guys don't feel the same about this situation, I can't speak to that, but he knows that he needs a break to be able to bring the best of himself to the table.  There is no alterier motive.  He genuinely just needs a break.  He needs a break that allows him to find new inspiration and have some down time.  When he has done his other side projects, if you think he was not also working on DT stuff, you'd be incredibly mistaken.   

I guess I got a bit long-winded there... sorry, but it's torture to sit back and watch my brother getting ripped apart or criticized for making this incredibly INCREDIBLY hard choice.  And for those of you who are supporting/understanding of his decision, I want you to know HOW MUCH it is appreciated. 

Thanks for listening...
~ Sam
<message edited by Portnoy on Saturday, September 11, 2010 7:36 PM>
(although I am Mike Portnoy' s sister ~ nothing I post is of the opinion of Mike unless I specifically say so... otherwise I am just a fan like everyone else!)

emtee

• Total Posts : 12533
    Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:43 AM (permalink)
    We're proud of him too Sam. The interview shed all the light anybody needed.

Totally understand and accept the situation for what it is. Life goes on. I still will love Mike
    and DT.

JazzCowboy

• Total Posts : 3638
      Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:49 AM (permalink)
      Haters gonna hate...

Fuck'em. MP for president!

Yair

• Total Posts : 136
        Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:53 AM (permalink)
        Thanks for voicing your opinion Sam, it sheds more light on the situation.
        I sincerely hope this temporary (praying for a temporary) break-up will lead them to the same path again in a few years.

I hope Mike will get the much deserved rest he's been craving for.

We (the fans) wish him and his family the best.

TheKillingHand07

• Total Posts : 1085
          Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:53 AM (permalink)
          He will be back. He'll get the refreshment he needs and deserves, and the other 4 guys can keep the engine running in the meantime so as not to lose any momentum. I totally understand the situation since last night's interview. It's all uphill from here :)
          <message edited by TheKillingHand07 on Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:55 AM>

djonesmarques

• Total Posts : 56
            Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:56 AM (permalink)
            Last night inteview eliminated any trolls.

DT2003

• Total Posts : 7730
              Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:57 AM (permalink)
              It really is a shame how so many people are trying to read between the lines. 

XeRocks81

• Total Posts : 4793
                Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:59 AM (permalink)
                Thank you Sam, but if I can echo the tip Eddie gave to Mike last nigh: stay off the internet!   It'll probably be better for you and your whole family if you don't read comments from us fans for a while.

drumdude79

• Total Posts : 344
                  Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:59 AM (permalink)
                  Well said!

Cassie5563

• Total Posts : 12929
                    Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 11:18 AM (permalink)
                    Sticky please!

What human being can't relate to this account?  I have totally been there, in my own small way.. I hated ending my radio shows but felt that the environment where I was doing them was killing my enjoyment of the music.  It's only been recently that I can even bring myself to listen to most of the music I once passionately LOVED.

So yeah, let's all just give the dude some space for now.  It's gunna be aight.

Thanks to Sam for putting a very personal face on this.

Baldrick, what begins with "Come here" and ends with "Ow"?

Metal Magic

• Total Posts : 1168
                      Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 11:22 AM (permalink)
                      Well said indeed, I hope the best for Mike and the (remaining) DT guys I know it will all work out but, people need to calm down with the insinuation it's only gonna lead to more and more rumors and drama which is the last thing MP/DT needs. 

Out of all of this I am very surprised to see how mature the guys have been! Shows me they are all class acts and love each other like family. I truly hope the reunite someday but if they don't not the end of the world just the beginning of something new. 

Taffer

• Total Posts : 7068
                        Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 11:45 AM (permalink)
                        The interview crippled any doubts I had of him. I'm glad that it seems they're still friends and there's no bad blood.
                        Since I heard the news, I have been very excited about what new DT might sound like.
                        My only beef was my assumptions about Avenged Sevenfold, but he cleared that up. I hope he does some great things!

Vulactic

• Total Posts : 1300
                          Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 12:02 PM (permalink)
                          I'll play mediator:

Start a new DT album with Mike in September 2011.  That's one year from now, 13 months from DT's last gig. 9 months longer than what was originally agreed as time off.  The world will be waiting with anticipation (including the tons of new fans that have come onboard as a result of A7X, Maiden and all of the press that A7X gets).

I think the "2011+" is hard for the band to swallow since they already have the second half of 2010 off.  Add in the fact that the touring was light already in 2010 and that Mike is a little unsure that 2011 is enough.

They should compromise before this gets too far.  Mike just might be asking a little too much of the other guys and they might be a little too rigid in their thinking as well.  They don't want their future decided by one person.  They made their needed point- it's not one guy running the show. Now they all need to go back to common ground and hash things out.  Maybe a new "organizational model" for Dream Theater 2.0  

They need to sit down face to face and hammer this out.

InfraredDream

• Total Posts : 205
                            Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 12:06 PM (permalink)
                            Well sad, Sam! And thanks a lot for posting it!
                            I hope all the speculations will stop now. Mike did awesome job with that interview yesterday explaining all the aspects of his decision. And as I said in the other tread I respect him a lot for that! It could have been "easier" for most people to just go in the studio and make some product. But not for him. Nothing but respect for that. And we can really hardly imagine what is in his soul these days.
                            Thanks, Sam. Love and respect for Mike!

paranoid70

• Total Posts : 6336
                              Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 12:07 PM (permalink)
                              Sam doesn't post very often, but when she does it is usually very meaningful.  Thanks.  
                              And all the science I don't understand
                              It's just my job 5 days a week

liquid_tenor

• Total Posts : 4211
                                Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 12:13 PM (permalink)
                                I was just as shocked as everyone else when I read Mike's initial statement, but I never felt any hate for him and was disappointed with some of the responses. As we now know, this wasn't something that just came up. Mike had been talking about this for a while, so the other guys knew it was something weighing on his mind. I can't help but wonder if it was JP who said he needed a break. What would they have done? I don't think they would have tried to move on with another guitarist, because how can you replace John Petrucci? And, yet, they're doing that very thing with Mike, rather than giving him and the whole band a break that would probably be beneficial to all. I don't know...
                                Faith is not a virtue. Faith is gullibility. It’s evidence that determines whether or not your perception of reality is reasonable and in conjunction with the world as it is. -Matt Dillahunty

fields10

• Total Posts : 2693
                                  Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 12:58 PM (permalink)
                                  Thank you Sam!! that was really great reading that.
                                  The headless lover of three...
                                  an unspeakable affair...

Unbelievable21

• Total Posts : 3411
                                    Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 1:00 PM (permalink)
                                    djonesmarques

Last night inteview eliminated many trolls.

Fixed.  After all, haters gonna hate.
                                    There are still some things said (not so much here) that make me want to cringe, but for the most part you are correct.
                                    "Pay No Attention to These Hypocrites, Neo. To Deny Our Own Impulses, Is To Deny The Very Thing That Makes Us Human"

The Metal Madman

• Total Posts : 8305
                                      Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 1:30 PM (permalink)
                                      Cassie5563

Sticky please!

What human being can't relate to this account?  I have totally been there, in my own small way.. I hated ending my radio shows but felt that the environment where I was doing them was killing my enjoyment of the music.  It's only been recently that I can even bring myself to listen to most of the music I once passionately LOVED.

So yeah, let's all just give the dude some space for now.  It's gunna be aight.

Thanks to Sam for putting a very personal face on this.

Cassie I can relate 100%. I have been contemplating ending my radio show for a while now. I started in March 2006, and find myself already getting burnt out, and not enjoying the music like I once did. 
                                      I really dont wanna end that chapter but I very well may just to get my own "break". 

4 years Vs 25 years! I cant even begin to imagine. 

I do not blame MP at all for his decision. My only problem is people who wanna blame the other 4 members for THEIR decision. MP has a right to do what he wants but at the same time so does the remaining members.

Nasreddin

• Total Posts : 122
                                        Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 1:37 PM (permalink)
                                        Thank you for your post Sam! In moments like this I realize what kinda special relation DT/MP have to their fans. I never experienced such a great contact and small distance between band members/family and fans. I really hope MP does the best decisions for him and I as a DT/MP fan can be grateful for 25 years of extraordinary commitment. Let's hope the best and imagine DT WITH MP in the next years and not blame anybody right now. 
                                        Chuck Norris put the laughter in manslaughter.

dkepner

• Total Posts : 8898
                                          Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 1:42 PM (permalink)
                                          Well said, Sam. Thanks for the additional perspective which many fan apparently needed.

Bad Magick

• Total Posts : 753
                                            Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 1:54 PM (permalink)
                                            Hopefully Mike can understand that, no matter how hard you try, you cannot please everyone. 

Mike, forget the negative comments you've seen or heard.  Focus on all the amazing things you've done with Dream Theater and beyond.  You've got a lot to be grateful for.  Don't let a few angry people ever let you think that you've done anything negative or wrong. 

I cannot wait to hear what you do next.  I'm sure it will be nothing short of awesome.

TakeTheTime

• Total Posts : 4169
                                              Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 2:21 PM (permalink)
                                              It's great to hear from you Sam!  I hope you are well.

I am eagerly anticipating comments from both Setlist Scotty and Rich Wilson.

Where are those guys?!
                                              III%

ayla1209

• Total Posts : 6828
                                                Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 3:13 PM (permalink)
                                                Very very well said Sam; thank you so much.

MP should be proud to have such a compassionate; honest; and sincere woman as his sister

Telefragged

• Total Posts : 4485
                                                  Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 3:18 PM (permalink)
                                                  Mike definitely needs to stay off the internet.  You can tell people not to think between the lines, but they still will. 

Reading Mike's newest interview is great.  I'm over my initial shock and anger (like a kid having their favorite toy taken away), and the guys are not machines.  It sounds perfectly reasonable that Mike should walk way if he knows his heart is not into it.  There's nothing more frustrating than forcing yourself to produce what is art and knowing your heart isn't into it.  It'll show in the end product.  It always shows.
                                                  Avatar commissioned from "TheWhiteDemon".

IceDog

• Total Posts : 965
                                                    Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 3:25 PM (permalink)
                                                    MP is and will always be my musical inspiration. Your comments are very reassuring to this passionate fan.

I've met MP on 6 occasions. What he does for the fans is unmatched and sooo well appreciated.

thanks sooo much, Sam!

toolfan1912

• Total Posts : 2864
                                                      • Location: Dublin, Ireland
                                                      Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 4:16 PM (permalink)
                                                      djonesmarques

Last night interview eliminated any trolls.

+1

Although I kinda knew straight away though that Mike needed to do what was right for him and the band and that there was no bad blood between any of the band and Mike.

Big thanks to Mike though for again thinking of the Fans rather than himself and going on Eddie Trunks show to explain the situation.

This place had gotten out of hand with people bad mouthing Mike and the rest of the Band. As much as I love DT and Mike I know at the end of the day their human and their not like other bands out their that are just in a band making music just for the Money!

Mike did the right thing, because I can garuantee that if he had continued with the band and made the next album that there would have been tonnes of threads badmouthing the album and Mike.

And thanks Sam I Am for the post, I don't think Mike would disagree with you coming on here to back him up, you are his family you did the right thing...

Leeroy455

• Total Posts : 3571
                                                        • Location: Brisbane, Australia
                                                        Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 5:57 PM (permalink)
                                                        Good on ya Sam!
                                                        MP: Do you guys know how long it took to find a gravestone with the name Victoria Page, and the dates 1905-1928 on it?! Took us months!

Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 7:24 PM (permalink)
                                                          DT2003

It really is a shame how so many people are trying to read between the lines. 

I am ashamed to admit I WAS one of those people. Be it because of how devastated i felt or just the fact that the reason seemed to simple, I was convinced that there had to be some sinister plot behind this announecment.

The interview he gave last night on Eddie's show shattered every conspiratorial thought that was brewing in my mind. It was difficult to listen to Mike because you could hear the heartache in his voice.
                                                          He provided EVERY answer he needed to PERFECTLY to explain the situation, and I don't think that he can do anything more, nor should he. It's just such an odd, unfortunate scenario that will ultimately make one heck of an Epic song.

DT has been a part of my life for 19 years, meaning so has MP. I can honestly say that I love each one of those guys on some sort of spiritual level just for the fact they have supplied so much inspiration and escape and joy to my soul.....I know i'm not genuine in feeling this....it' really is amazing what musicians can do for an individual.

We all love you MP, and your interview last night just demonstrated one of the things we love about you...that passion inside of you to give all of us your 100% effort. You could have easily mailed the next album in and not one of us would have been able to tell, because you are that incredible of a musician. But you stayed true to yourself, and the blessing that act constitutes may not be immediate....but it WILL come to fruition at the proper moment and reward you greatly!

God speed on your journey Sir.. 

And thank you for your post Sam

"We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free."
                                                          -Bill Hicks

Weymolith

• Total Posts : 11436
                                                            Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 7:27 PM (permalink)
                                                            Thanks for posting Sam. I was hoping you'd chime in.

As I mentioned in another thread that I locked, I had an opportunity to speak face to face with Mike both before and after the  interview with Eddie Trunk. There is nothing between the lines to find.

It's exactly as stated in the interview. The reason Mike did this was to explain to the fans so there would be a better understanding of the situation and stop the ridiculous speculations.
                                                            <message edited by Weymolith on Saturday, September 11, 2010 7:39 PM>

crazyfatkid

• Total Posts : 2622
                                                              • Joined: 3/28/2009
                                                              Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 7:49 PM (permalink)
                                                              Leeroy455

Good on ya Sam!

yup! great words

DTman2112

• Total Posts : 2179
                                                                • Joined: 5/17/2006
                                                                • Status: offline
                                                                Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 7:59 PM (permalink)
                                                                It's always great to hear from you Sam! Thanks for posting, and you're a good sister.

People don't think twice about being harmful when they're not face to face with their "victim". Whenever possible, try not to take idiotic comments from us frustrated fans personally. We all love Mike, or else we wouldn't bother with this forum.

Take care!

Johnny_M

• Total Posts : 256
                                                                  • Joined: 5/18/2002
                                                                  • Location: Gleason, TN USA
                                                                  Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 8:19 PM (permalink)
                                                                  I felt better after the interview and even better now. Thanks for posting up Sam! I read the press release multiple times but txt can be easy to misinterpret. I didn't know what to think. I supported him either way but didn't understand it. I was never angry but my misinterpretation was that he wanted time off from it all...not just DT. I was happy about that as I think he probably needs it. He is an awesome guy and the most interactive/giving "star" ever and we all love him for that!
                                                                  Everyone needs to be their own person, Just make sure that at the end of the day you aren't ashamed of who that person is.

Drsilence

• Total Posts : 59
                                                                    • Joined: 8/14/2002
                                                                    • Location: Stow, Ohio (USA)
                                                                    Re:Can I say something? (a note from Mike's sister) Saturday, September 11, 2010 8:29 PM (permalink)
                                                                    Thank you for the taking the time to post your thoughts.  I wasn't a hater, but I was scratching my head at the timing of all this.  It appeared that DT was picking up new fans since 2007 and BCSL did well; it only made sense to strike the iron while it was hot.  But between Mike's interview last night and your post I can see and understand why he made the choice to walk away at this time. 

I hope Mike and the rest of guys reconnect in 2012 or 2013 and this will simply be a bump in the DT road.

PeiProgRocker

• Total Posts : 2104
                                                                      • Joined: 1/4/2005
                                                                      • Location: Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
                                                                      Re:Can I say something? Saturday, September 11, 2010 8:34 PM (permalink)
                                                                      Thanks for posting this :)    I really hope no one picks sides in this whole thing... and I think Mike's new interview will help with that.   Between JP's Q&A on his website and MP's interview I feel much better about the whole situation.  I plan on supporting both "sides" (oops) and hope that they all come back together in a year or so.  Will it be really weird to see DT with another drummer... YEP!!!   But I must say I'm really curious to see/hear what they come up with...     And Curious to what kind of projects MP will take on as well... I certainly wouldn't complain about another Transatlantic album ;)   Maybe some time off to train Max for the vacant DT drum throne?   :)   A REAL collaberation with Jim Matheos would be very cool as well.
                                                                      "I bought a couple of droids today from the freaky little hooded creatures . The big one is sort of effeminate and annoying, and I think the little one has an amputee inside!"

MetalliJedi_1

• Total Posts : 2341
                                                                        • Joined: 8/19/2003
                                                                        • Location: Somewhere around Mexico
                                                                        Re:Can I say something? (a note from Mike's sister) Saturday, September 11, 2010 8:49 PM (permalink)

Thank you for  sharing your thoughts with us, Sam.

If I couldn´t sleep that much the day Mike told us he
                                                                        was leaving DT... I can see how many sleepless nights Mike had
                                                                        when he came to take this desicion.

With the  information that we have  about what came
                                                                        down I think that if Mike gave in to the rest of the guys... the album
                                                                        would be what Saint ANger was for Metallica and it´d tarnish DT legacy.

I´ll support Mike in the next ventures he does and I´ll pray
                                                                        that Mike gets to the point he wants and refreshes his juices and then find a
                                                                        common ground to work again with the guys.
                                                                        I´m a woman and I L O V E Progressive Rock (in all its variants) by my own volition, thank you...now back to our regular programming.
                                                                        "Music needs to be loved, music is art, without love it is meaningless and meaningless art is not art." Perttu Kivilaakso.
                                                                        "OH MY GOD! This is way more intense than a G3 and much more sexy" Me at Apocalyptica concert.

brady

• Total Posts : 364
                                                                          • Joined: 12/4/2009
                                                                          • Location: the netherlands
                                                                          Re:Can I say something? (a note from Mike's sister) Saturday, September 11, 2010 9:12 PM (permalink)
                                                                          Hi sam,

thanks for the details your opinion, i agree with you.
                                                                          I will support mike with everything he does and will do. Although i hope that he will reunite with dream theater someday, i think he made the right choice.

mesavox

• Total Posts : 2689
                                                                            • Joined: 5/18/2002
                                                                            • Location: Guymon OK USA
                                                                            Re:Can I say something? (a note from Mike's sister) Saturday, September 11, 2010 11:00 PM (permalink)
                                                                            Honestly, I'm amazed this board wasn't shut down for a while. Even the people bashing DT don't realize how that hurts Mike too. If someone leaves the family business to chart their own course, they don't want to see people bash the family business because they think the one leaving needs someone on their side. If the 4 core creative team of DT weren't ALL the heart and sould of DT, Mike wouldn't have stayed in something that special so long. The heart of DT has been changed and it's gonna need a little bit of surgery... that includes Mike. But, people like to think they know more than is said, and think they have a special gift at figuring things out, so the speculation will likely continue... hopefully all necessary links to this thread will be added to all senseless posts. lol

All the constant speculation has driven me insane... I can't imagine how those close to Mike must feel. I'm glad you posted Sam... it was just nice to hear another voice of reason if nothing else. :)

peart=GOD

• Total Posts : 2990
                                                                              • Joined: 12/9/2005
                                                                              Re:Can I say something? (a note from Mike's sister) Saturday, September 11, 2010 11:39 PM (permalink)
                                                                              Sam I Am

He wants to have the chance to play with other musicians and be reminded of how special this all is.

That line alone speaks volumes for anyone who is extremely pissed off and doesn't understand. Music is (and should always be) just special for the people creating it.

#39
                                                                                Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                                                Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 39 of 126

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                                                • No New Messages
                                                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                                                • Read Message
                                                                                • Post New Thread
                                                                                • Reply to message
                                                                                • Post New Poll
                                                                                • Submit Vote
                                                                                • Post reward post
                                                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                                                • Rate post

All Design and Content are Copyright mikeportnoy.com and NOT for use on other web sites.
                                                                                website credits
                                                                                2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.8