follow MP on Twitter

Mike Portnoy Leaves Dream Theater - Official Press Release

Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 34, messages 1 to 39 of 1290
Portnoy

• Total Posts : 1834
Mike Portnoy Leaves Dream Theater - Official Press Release Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:14 PM (permalink)
   Wednesday September 8th 2010

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write:

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater...

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...
Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,
MP

"Move on be brave, don't weep at my grave, because I am no longer here...
But please never let your memory of me disappear...."
--- The Spirit Carries On
<message edited by Portnoy on Thursday, September 09, 2010 8:14 PM>

mentalpictureodeum

• Total Posts : 82
    Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:18 PM (permalink)
    I'm speechless...
    "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

portnoy311

• Total Posts : 10530
      Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:19 PM (permalink)
      holy crap...

Whatever you think is best for you, my man.

legendinthemaking

• Total Posts : 1824
        Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:19 PM (permalink)
        What??
        In peaceful sedation I lay half awake
        And all of the panic inside starts to fade

Taffer

• Total Posts : 7147
          Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:22 PM (permalink)
          genuinely close to tears right now

legendinthemaking

• Total Posts : 1824
            Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:23 PM (permalink)
            After reading through it again, I don't blame you, Mike... do what you need to do
            In peaceful sedation I lay half awake
            And all of the panic inside starts to fade

TheKillingHand07

• Total Posts : 1085
              Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:23 PM (permalink)
              This can't be happening...

D.Tony.X

• Total Posts : 427
                As much as it closes a chapter of your life, it does the same for me....thank you Mike for everything

Spunky

• Total Posts : 3034
                  Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:24 PM (permalink)
                  hmm, I looked to see if this was an old April Fools joke. 

Sadly, MP's dedication to the fans was a big part of what I loved about DT. 

Sorry it couldn't be worked out.

Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:24 PM (permalink)
                    This news sucks.....looks like there will be ALOT of folk here on the forum saying 'I told you so' in the upcoming hours/days.

My initial reaction is shock, there's a little of me that's mad, there's alot of me that is already craving the next DT album just to see where the rest of the guys are going to take DT.

Unbelievable.....
                    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free."
                    -Bill Hicks

hpmcginny

• Total Posts : 1711
                      this wont do at all.........

good god im speechless
                      Horsebox 

JNA

• Total Posts : 1856
                        Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:25 PM (permalink)
                        Wha....
                        Verification of the truth of the words of the Book of Counted Shadows, if spoken by another, rather than read by the one who commands the boxes, can only be ensured by the use of a Confessor...

tjt84

• Total Posts : 274
                          Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:25 PM (permalink)
                          Oh my god...
                          A wise man once said,

"Eat my ass and balls"

fields10

• Total Posts : 2693
                            I'm actually crying a bit!!!! :'(
                            That was so unexpected!!!
                            The headless lover of three...
                            an unspeakable affair...

mcchub

• Total Posts : 91
                              Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:26 PM (permalink)
                              this can't be true .. why :(

does this mean your doing Avenged Sevenfold full time now ?

Splinter76

• Total Posts : 1343
                                Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:26 PM (permalink)
                                I.. uh... wow... I feel SO stupid saying this, but I feel like someone I love has died. I'm not mad at MP at all. Hell, I think he was MORE than reasonable in what he wanted and needed because HE IS THE ENGINE behind this band in every way. 

Mike... whatever you do after this. Whatever it is, man... I will be there buying up everything. 

Oh wow this has hit me hard.

Not as hard as I'm sure it has hit Mike. 

We love you, Mike.
                                "... [L]et's continue that musical journey right now with 'Images and Wads'!" - James LaBrie: Score

BANANANUTZ

• Total Posts : 65
                                  WOW!!  did not see this coming.....

goo-goo

• Total Posts : 7652

Carpe Diem!

Zildjian_Master88

• Total Posts : 950
                                      Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:27 PM (permalink)

HEAVY METAL, KEEP THE FAITH, PRAY TO GOD
                                      ~Devin Townsend

weezul

• Total Posts : 6187
                                        Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:27 PM (permalink)
                                        Taffer

genuinely close to tears right now

http://www.liamgaughan.com/    lost the game?
                                        Production / Performance / Tuition

Spunky

• Total Posts : 3034
                                          does this mean no more ytsejam stuff? 

oh well.  My attempt at humor...

Taffer

• Total Posts : 7147
                                            Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:28 PM (permalink)
                                            So you're gonna focus on Avenged Sevenfold now? I say them because the other bands mentioned are rare gems...

I'm really sorry for saying this but... really??

ROCKJUICE

• Total Posts : 166
                                              Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:28 PM (permalink)
                                              I can't imagine DT without you Mike.

I'm at a fuckin loss for words here.

Valhall

• Total Posts : 803
                                                I'm at loss for words right now. Later.

Maybe...

tom pain

• Total Posts : 56
                                                  Wow.....stunned. Geuinely disapointed to hear this.

But all full marks to Mike for having the balls to control his destiny and make such a tough decision. I know feel extremely grateful at having the opportunity to see you perform with them.

Best of luck with everything in the future Mike - will support you 100% :)

Strato

• Total Posts : 5144
                                                    • Location: San Francisco CA
                                                    Thanks for the note, Mike. You've always been there for your fans. Cheers, and here's to the next MP era!

hpmcginny

• Total Posts : 1711
                                                      • Location: Dublin, Ireland
                                                      Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:29 PM (permalink)
                                                      if ever someone was irreplaceable in a band
                                                      Horsebox 

Derango

• Total Posts : 2572
                                                        • Location: New Hartford, NY
                                                        Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:30 PM (permalink)
                                                        Oh my god. I...just...I...please let this be a joke. PLEASE.

EDIT: Please don't mistake me, I can't imagine a DT without MP. It's mostly shock. I'm positive you're doing what you feel is right. It's the end of an era man. 

I always knew this day would come but I didn't think it would be so soon...
                                                        <message edited by Derango on Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:33 PM>

joeclark4725

• Total Posts : 5260
                                                          • Location: Janesville, WI
                                                          Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:30 PM (permalink)
                                                          I have no words....
                                                          9pc Tama Starclassic Performer DCF, Gibraltar rack and Sabian cymbals.

http://www.wi4x4.com

Bruins

• Total Posts : 1623
                                                            • Location: Beantown, USA
                                                            wow..just wow.

There is no doubt in my mind that DT (with Mike) will rise again

JRundquist

• Total Posts : 11374
                                                              • Joined: 6/15/2005
                                                              • Location: River, Falls, WI

That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
                                                              thatdrummerguy.com

OUmd

• Total Posts : 1583
                                                                • Joined: 5/27/2003
                                                                • Location: Oklahoma
                                                                • Status: offline

MrSawyer

• Total Posts : 2598
                                                                  • Joined: 8/14/2005
                                                                  • Location: Phoenix, Arizona
                                                                  Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:31 PM (permalink)
                                                                  I'm completely shocked. Dream Theater is not Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy. I don't think they'll make it without him honestly. Maybe an album and tour and that's it.

scaife

• Total Posts : 1242
                                                                    • Joined: 12/10/2005
                                                                    • Location: Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia
                                                                    Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:31 PM (permalink)
                                                                    Wow. This is the last thing I expected to see on this forum. Having read through your letter a few times, I can see that you've really tried to keep things together. I have been a fan of yours for over 15 years now, and will continue to support whatever you do. Thank you for 20+ years behind DT's drumkit, Mike. I wish you nothing but the best in the future.

Bill
                                                                    The worst thing about censorship is *******.

Death once had a near Chuck Norris experience.

intoc

• Total Posts : 6269
                                                                      • Joined: 10/12/2005
                                                                      Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:32 PM (permalink)
                                                                      Wow. That's some heavy stuff.

grepnyc

• Total Posts : 19
                                                                        • Joined: 4/2/2006
                                                                        • Location: NYC USA
                                                                        Re:This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:32 PM (permalink)
                                                                        This is like Geddy Lee leaving Rush.... The band is basically over with.. done. Never will be the same again... great, just great. About to become another Spock's Beard.. a shadow of it's former self.

Good luck to you man. I hope you find what you're looking for.......

Gourdy Lee

• Total Posts : 1135
                                                                          • Joined: 6/12/2009
                                                                          • Location: A Van Down By The River, IN
                                                                          I'm waiting for someone to tell me this is a joke... Please?

I tried to walk into Target, but I missed. Damn. - Mitch Hedberg

Zelse

• Total Posts : 1044
                                                                            • Joined: 4/21/2009
                                                                            This is quite honestly the biggest shock I've ever received from the world of music.  What the fuck?!

olliemedsy

• Total Posts : 301
                                                                              • Joined: 5/21/2009
                                                                              Mike, this is horrible news, but you have to do what you have to do, so good luck for whatever you do in the future. I have a been a HUGE fan for only about 2 years. Im just hugely glad I saw you last year, and saw the percussive nation 09 in London. I guess my first show was my last. But good luck!

#39
                                                                                Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                                                Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 34, messages 1 to 39 of 1290

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                                                • No New Messages
                                                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                                                • Read Message
                                                                                • Post New Thread
                                                                                • Reply to message
                                                                                • Post New Poll
                                                                                • Submit Vote
                                                                                • Post reward post
                                                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                                                • Rate post

All Design and Content are Copyright mikeportnoy.com and NOT for use on other web sites.
                                                                                website credits
                                                                                2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.8