follow MP on Twitter

MP's forecast for 2010

Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 39 of 218
Portnoy

• Total Posts : 1833
MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:49 AM (permalink)
As 2009 is finally winding down and no DT plans have been made public yet for 2010, I'd like to just give a quick rundown of what we have planned to prevent any rumors or speculation that I'm starting to see brew....

As you know, after Thanksgiving we will be heading down to New Zealand for the very first time and then over to Australia (with special guests Pain Of Salvation)...and then we will return home to our families for the holidays and New Year...

In an unexpected move, we will then enter the studio right after New Year's to write and record a brand new instrumental track for inclusion on the upcoming Gods Of War 3 soundtrack. This will mark the first time in the band's career we have written and recorded an exclusive track for an outside project. Roadrunner invited us to participate and we decided we were up for the challenge!

Next on the agenda will likely be a South American tour in the late winter / early spring...but we are still awaiting details on this, so of course plans are still subject to change...

Speaking of changed plans, I'm afraid I have some disappointing news for our North American fans: after serious discussion within the band and evaluations with our manager and agent, we have deciding against doing another US run in spring as we had initially planned...for many reasons, it just is not going to work out as we had originally hoped. (and yes Texas, I still remember we owe ya next time!)

Essentially, this means the BC&SL World Tour will conclude with South America (if it indeed happens) and the only remaining DT shows in 2010 will be some possible festivals and one-off shows that may (or may not) happen towards the end of the summer.

So that's the 2010 forecast for DT....

The 2010 MP forecast is another story....

Although I do plan on having some down time to enjoy with my family....I do have several things on my agenda that will keep me plenty busy (of course!)...

As most of you know, it's looking VERY likely that Transatlantic will hit the road with some shows in support of the newly released reunion album "The Whirlwind"....it looks like we found a nice little window in mine, Pete's, Neal's and Roine's schedules to make this happen in the Spring.
So we are currently looking into doing some select shows in major cities on both sides of the Atlantic during this period (it will be our first truly "transatlantic" tour - as we only did the US for SMPTe in 2000 and only did Europe/UK for Bridge Across Forever in 2001)
Details of these shows should start to firm up soon, so stay tuned...

In addition to the Transatlantic tour, I also have several other exciting possibilities up my sleeve for 2010....so time will tell what pans out and become realities....

So there ya have it for now!

Inevitably, some people will be disappointed in our plans and complain (and blame me!)...others will be excited and overjoyed (and thank me)...but it is what it is..,it's our lives and our career and this is how it looks to be shaping up for the coming months/year...

OK, there ya go! You're now in the loop.... 

Thank you for a GREAT 2009 (so far) and looking forward to more in 2010,

MP  

Devnoy

• Total Posts : 5820
    Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:53 AM (permalink)
    Mmm Transatlantic in Europe... hopefully near me :-)

Thanks for the updates. 

raisingfear101

• Total Posts : 2279
      Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:56 AM (permalink)
      No U.S tour is a little disappointing, but the Transatlantic tour should make up for it.
      And that Gods of War track sounds VERY interesting!

Curtis with a K
      "Fuck me with a sugar dick."

Epitaph04

• Total Posts : 3960
        Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:57 AM (permalink)
        FUCK ME for missing out on them when they were in LA...

UGHDJKSGHLKAJHELUSGHLA

*insert banging head on desk gif*
        Get up and deconstruct.

NYCoolRunner

• Total Posts : 4035
          Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:58 AM (permalink)
          Not going to lie but I am disappointed with the US tour news... although I'm not angry at anyone and I can't blame you for any of it. Oh well.. what are ya gunna do?? See Transatlantic =)

Staker

• Total Posts : 839
            Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:58 AM (permalink)
            2010 looks brilliant, Mike. A nice little London Transatlantic show would really be awesome for me and my prog friends. Get some good relaxation time with your family, and have a good year!

faizoff

• Total Posts : 10213
              Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:59 AM (permalink)
              Instrumental track for a video game, thats great. Havent played any of the Gods of War. Sounds good.
              Sing to me, raven
              I miss her so much

Kyo

• Total Posts : 4896
                Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:15 AM (permalink)
                Interesting news. I wonder if the complete 12 steps saga will be played on this tour or whether it'll have to wait until the next.

Just one question, shouldn't that be "God of War III", the PlayStation 3 game?

opethlord

• Total Posts : 6873
                  Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:15 AM (permalink)
                  That sounds like no Mexico on this tour. What a shame. Hopefully Transatlantic does make it here... I don't think either of those shows will happen. Boo.

Teuras

• Total Posts : 236
                    Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:39 AM (permalink)
                    Looking forward to the soundtrack ;)
                    MP stole my drums! I want them back, now! >:[

KISS 76

• Total Posts : 480
                      Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:41 AM (permalink)
                      Thanks for posting. You care enough to keep in touch & let the fans know what the band & your plans are unlike so many others... Much appreciated.

Scherztastic

• Total Posts : 1554
                        Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:44 AM (permalink)
                        Awesome, seems to me to be the perfect time for this band to finally get an extended break:

1) They totally deserve it.
                        2) Leaves time to simmer and get those creative juices flowing for the future.
                        3) Members will no doubt have time to participate in other projects, which is always awesome.

There's so much stuff going on with this band that sometimes it's hard to keep track of it all. For the above reasons and more, this is great news!
                        <message edited by Scherztastic on Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:46 AM>
                        I was saying boo-urns.

Spacebar.

• Total Posts : 35
                          Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:44 AM (permalink)
                          This is going to be brilliant...

Cheers MP

YtseRob2112

• Total Posts : 5317
                            Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:46 AM (permalink)
                            Thanks for the update MP!
                            check out my band, Liberty's Exiles:
                            http://libertysexiles.bandcamp.com/album/libertys-exiles-2

JRundquist

• Total Posts : 11374
                              Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:47 AM (permalink)
                              Well like a lot of people will be when they read it, I'm bummed that DT will not be doing a 2nd run. I'm just happy that I did catch PN09. To make up for it add any, if not all of the following bands to PN10:

Pain of Salvation
                              Porcupine Tree
                              Fates Warning
                              Devin Townsend
                              Dredg
                              Cynic
                              Long Distance Calling

:)

As for Transatlantic, I'm sure the closest date to the MN/WI area will be Chicago. I wish I could say that I could afford the trip, but as a working class cover band drummer, I just won't be able to. If there is any chance of a live DVD on this run, I'll be a happy panda.

And I'll also be looking forward to the DT instrumental. I have never been disappointed in a DT instrumental and I'm pretty sure I'll never be.
                              That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
                              thatdrummerguy.com

Throwman

• Total Posts : 392
                                Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:50 AM (permalink)
                                As someone who skipped the Prog Nation show in Denver in favor of seeing a spring leg show in Texas, I am pretty bummed at the news. However, when I look back at 2009 and think of all the great DT/Transatlantic content that has been released, I can't bring myself to be disappointed overall. Most other bands don't accomplish nearly this much in a year/touring cycle, but as with everything, MP sets the bar much higher. I'm pumped for the God of War III instrumental track, and whatever else happens in 2010. I just hope that something happens within reasonable distance of where I live! :-)

Bluntobject

• Total Posts : 1798
                                  Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:52 AM (permalink)
                                  The video game track sounds very cool. Glad DT (and prog!) is moving into new media.

And if I had to chose, I'd rather have the Transatlantic tour over the DT tour, mostly because I've seen DT 8 billion times and never seen TA. So no real disappointment here! Thanks for all your efforts in 2009 and we'll see you in 2010.
                                  Wait...now I'm confused...

aprogblog.wordpress.com
                                  My prog blog. I promise it will be better next time.

Nick3lson

• Total Posts : 141
                                    Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:56 AM (permalink)
                                    Wow, looking forward to hear that soundtrack and what it will become!
                                    And me is hoping for a Transatlantic date here in Holland
                                    *** The Glass Prison Which Once Held Me....Is Gone ***

thefunkygibbons

• Total Posts : 18137
                                      • Location: Sherfield on Loddon, Hampshire, UK
                                      Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:05 AM (permalink)
                                      Good to get an update

Nip those rumours in the bud

I will see a transatlantic show in Europe, somewhere, anywhere

arturo_petrucci5150

• Total Posts : 369
                                        Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:39 AM (permalink)
                                        Damn, so no shows in Mexico for this tour? :(
                                        John Myung once said:

ganpondorodf

• Total Posts : 6198
                                          Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:52 AM (permalink)
                                          DT doing a new instrumental?  Badass.  It being on the God of War III soundtrack?  Doubly badass.  This is almost as exciting as a new album announcement for me...  Can't wait to hear it!
                                          Do you like Prog?  Of course you do!  Stream/download my prog album FOR FREE here:

https://thomascosgrove.bandcamp.com/

thefunkygibbons

• Total Posts : 18137
                                            • Location: Sherfield on Loddon, Hampshire, UK
                                            Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:23 AM (permalink)
                                            Actually, think I will start to be greedy

Likely location of Summer festivals = Europe

One off shows = also Europe

He he, well the glass is half full

progordie

• Total Posts : 186
                                              Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:28 AM (permalink)
                                              Thanks for the update Mike !
                                              To me this still means "most likely" a new album from my all time favorite band in 2011
                                              And I look forward to the "Instrumental Track".
                                              I have been listinig to "Eve" "Hell's Kitchen" and "Ystejam" a lot last week and was actually thinking DT should again do more 5-6 minutes Instrumental tracks

Arash

The Fish

• Total Posts : 7480
                                                Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:46 AM (permalink)
                                                I read the video game thing while Hooker with a Penis showed up on my pod. Better be a good instrumental!

Fjubb

• Total Posts : 195
                                                  Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:51 AM (permalink)
                                                  How will non-ps3 owners (like me) get a hold of the instrumental song? I really hope the song will be released in some way for everyone to buy.

ganpondorodf

Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:57 AM (permalink)
                                                    A lot of big game releases have their soundtrack released too, and often on iTunes/Amazon MP3 etc.
                                                    Do you like Prog?  Of course you do!  Stream/download my prog album FOR FREE here:

Keys In Motion

• Total Posts : 672
                                                      • Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
                                                      Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:08 AM (permalink)
                                                      Thanx for taking the time MP.

Looking forward to hear the instrumental for the game!

lutima.mp

• Total Posts : 1215
                                                        • Location: the Netherlands
                                                        Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:09 AM (permalink)
                                                        Thanks so much for this post, Mike !
                                                        Sure you don't want rumours, but still I think it's incredibly COOL of you to give us an update on your/DT's plans, it's highly appreciated you're taking the time to inform us, thanks !

I can't wait for Transatlantic's possible tour next year !!
                                                        I'll keep my fingers crossed for a date here in Holland
                                                        (*and keeping my fingers crossed for a possible JLB solo tour...ssssttt...*)

Enjoy your time being home with your family, Mike ! Nothing more important these days
                                                        Good luck with your plans and I hope 2010 will be as you hope for.
                                                        Take good care of yourself,
                                                        Caroline

Asho

• Total Posts : 245
                                                          • Location: Tasmania, Australia
                                                          Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:10 AM (permalink)
                                                          I can't wait to see what the instrumental for God of War 3 sounds like. 

I'm also kinda hoping if Transatlantic tour, that maybe JP will have time away from DT to do a new solo album or something. 
                                                          <message edited by Asho on Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:14 AM>

barryintexas

• Total Posts : 3261
                                                            • Location: Garland TX USA
                                                            Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:15 AM (permalink)
                                                            Definitely bummed out to read there will not be 2nd US leg but appreciate you letting us know now, have a great new year
                                                            " When a true genius appears in the world, you may always know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

My Site

matcesa

• Total Posts : 1900
                                                              • Joined: 1/11/2005
                                                              Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:18 AM (permalink)
                                                              Portnoy

In addition to the Transatlantic tour, I also have several other exciting possibilities up my sleeve for 2010....so time will tell what pans out and become realities....
                                                              MP  

Fingers crossed for the long awaited Portnoy/Akerfeldt/Wilson project...

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.

mr_john

• Total Posts : 488
                                                                • Joined: 6/10/2009
                                                                • Status: offline
                                                                Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:32 AM (permalink)
                                                                May I respectfully suggest a TA gig in Newcastle in the UK?? Pretty please??

crazyfatkid

• Total Posts : 2622
                                                                  • Joined: 3/28/2009
                                                                  • Location: Aus
                                                                  Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:33 AM (permalink)

Asho

maybe JP will have time away from DT to do a new solo album or something. 

Perhaps another G3!? satch probably has no time off though. JP is interested in making a new instructional DVD, and another solo album. JM should totally hook up with platypus again. JR should (will?) make another solo album. JLB will start digging... (digging a hole to china/their asian tour?)

ganpondorodf

• Joined: 9/30/2008
                                                                    • Location: Scotland
                                                                    Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:35 AM (permalink)
                                                                    Out of interest, what sort of venues have TA played in the past?  I'm assuming they wouldn't be playing as large venues as any of the members' main bands, and it could be cool to see MP et al at a more intimate venue.

tl;dr: venue venue venue venue

tube-amped

• Total Posts : 1348
                                                                      • Joined: 5/18/2002
                                                                      • Location: Norfolk VA USA
                                                                      Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:36 AM (permalink)
                                                                      Well, as The Man said, it is what it is.  The instrumental news sounds awesome and I cannot wait to hear it!!!  I'm thankful for getting to see the Progressive Nation show this year (Columbia, Maryland), but was REALLY looking forward to a Dream Theater North American jaunt (as they normally do).  I am not gonna complain beyond that or point any fingers.  I am glad that 2009 was a successful/great year for DT and hope 2010 brings the same.

Later - Mike
                                                                      Yeah, I can play all of John Petrucci's music... At 1/4 speed!!!

spocks_brow

• Total Posts : 9827
                                                                        • Joined: 5/18/2006
                                                                        • Location: Long Branch, NJ
                                                                        Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:40 AM (permalink)
                                                                        God of War?  Holy fuck will that be awesome!

Sucks that there won't be another US tour.  
                                                                        Maybe PoS' plane can land in America and someone can "forget" their other tickets, so they have to do a tour to make some money to get back home

Dal

• Total Posts : 274
                                                                          • Joined: 9/3/2008
                                                                          • Location: London, UK
                                                                          Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:47 AM (permalink)
                                                                          Theres no doubt MP keeps us upto date.  Not sure about attending a TA date, not really got into their records yet (i am trying!).  If DT were to do UK festival date then will do everything i can to be there.  Hope for a JLB album as i loved Elements of Persuasion and the MP/SW/MA collaboration is something I been waiting for ages for as well.   

HectorRodriguez

• Total Posts : 848
                                                                            • Joined: 3/22/2005
                                                                            • Location: Mexicali, Mexico
                                                                            Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:03 AM (permalink)
                                                                            please let this guys have a break, there are humans for god's sake

FlashCE

• Total Posts : 738
                                                                              • Joined: 9/28/2006
                                                                              Re:MP's forecast for 2010 Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:09 AM (permalink)
                                                                              Being in God of War 3 will give them so much exposure, wow.

#39
                                                                                Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                                                Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 39 of 218

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                                                • No New Messages
                                                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                                                • Read Message
                                                                                • Post New Thread
                                                                                • Reply to message
                                                                                • Post New Poll
                                                                                • Submit Vote
                                                                                • Post reward post
                                                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                                                • Rate post

All Design and Content are Copyright mikeportnoy.com and NOT for use on other web sites.
                                                                                website credits
                                                                                2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.8