- What’s the story on remastering of When Dream and Day Unite? With the limited edition version that One Way Records is doing, does it have the band’s approval and/or input? What are Mike’s feelings on it? faq id: 205
MP: For many years around the I&W period, that was a serious goal of ours. Ultimately, we were unable to do *anything* with that CD because it was owned by another record company. Eventually, they sold the rights to it to another independant label who then re-released it without any input (or permission for that matter!) from us. It is so dated at this point, that none of us really care to investigate the matter any further (not that there is anything we can do about it anyway!) At least it got *some* sort of re-release so its not out of print anymore.
- How does Mike feel about When Dream and Day Unite now? faq id: 206
MP: It was mainly a learning experience for all of us (largely learning all of the things *not* to do!!) We signed a crummy deal with a crummy label who did nothing with the release and ultimately, we ended up having to BUY our way out of the contract in order to sign our current deal! (how's that for backwards!) The making of the record was fun, but too quick on too small of a budget (roughly 3 weeks work). I think the mix was not up to the level of Terry Date's capabilities and Charlie's vocals were a bit of a weak link. OTHER THAN THAT, I LOVE THE CD!!!! I do think some of the musical passages were very good (parts of the Killing Hand, YtseJam, TOWHTSTS and Only A Matter Of Time) and I'm glad we got to re-do alot of the songs throughout our career with James, Derek and Jordan...
- Did anybody notice the mistake in the liner notes of the remastered "Limited Edition" version of When Dream and Day Unite (about Charlie Dominici being replaced by Kevin Moore)? faq id: 282
Answer: Yes - it's obviously a typo by people who know nothing about the band (which isn't surprising).
- What served as inspiration corner when Dream Theater did When Dream and Day Unite? faq id: 283
MP: I remember we were listening to Operation: Mindcrime *a lot* - it was a big influence on us for that album.
- Was Dream Theater dropped when When Dream and Day Unite failed to sell? faq id: 284
MP: We had to buy ourselves out of that contract. We begged them to drop us because they weren't doing anything with us. And sure enough, they didn't want to let us go because they held the leverage of the contract.
- Would Dream Theater ever consider performing When Dream and Day Unite in it's entirity as the second set (similar to what they did with the title track from Six Degrees on the 2002 tour)? faq id: 285
MP: Anything's possible. Lemme just add that if we were to do that, it wouldn't just be an arbitrary thing where we just do it. Maybe if it was something significant, like the 15th anniversary or something along those lines. The thought of doing that has crossed my mind.
- Who originally thought of reversing the letters in "Majesty" to become Ytsejam, and how did it happen? faq id: 286
MP: I will have to say, in all humbleness, it was mine! I don't remember how it came about - maybe I was shaving and saw it in the mirror. I don't know. Just an idea being clever.