- Does Mike actually like Elton John or was it simply Derek (and therefore why the only time Elton John’s songs were covered was while he was in the band? faq id: 112
MP: Why would anybody be suprised that I (or anybody in DT) is an Elton John fan? Because he is not prog? Yes, Derek was an Elton fan as well....but it was me who wanted to cover Funeral & Love Lies Bleeding...in fact we had covered it when Kevin was still in the band back in 1990. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" is one of my Top 10 CD's of *all time* by any artist.
- Does Mike like anything other than progressive music? faq id: 113
MP: Many of my all-time favorite artists are *not* Progressive at all...(most especially The Beatles, U2 & Radiohead) I am a fan of *good music*...whether it be Rock, Pop, Progressive, Metal, Rap, Alternative, Jazz, Classical, whatever....
- What does Mike think of the tributes to Dream Theater, such as the one being put together by people from the mikeportnoy.com message board? faq id: 175
MP: If it is a “tribute” CD of some sort, sounds great to me! Good Luck everybody and make sure to send DaveH a bunch of copies for me!
- Is Mike a fan of Ayreon? faq id: 176
MP: Can't say I am much of a “fan” or that they are an “influence,” but I did enjoy last year's 2 CD's... (especially the more commercial Pink Floyd-ish one).
- Would Mike ever consider working with Steve Vai on a project? faq id: 177
MP: I would LOVE to work with Steve Vai. He is one of my favorite guitar players and someone whose musical abilities and backround (Berklee & Zappa!!) I really admire.
- What does Mike think of Tool and Danny Carey’s drumming? faq id: 178
MP: Aenima is one of my favorite CD's of the past several years and yes Danny Carey's drumming is totally cool and creative. It is pretty unusual the amount of commercial success they have had given the length of their songs and their very untraditional arrangements (sound familiar?)
- Is Mike a fan of the Dave Matthews Band? faq id: 179
MP: Yes and especially of Carter. He is one of my favorites out there today! To be honest, I can only take their music in small doses because I'm not so crazy about Dave Matthew's voice (how ironic), but I am always fascinated by Carter's playing.
- What does Mike think of King Crimson's “Deconstruktion of Light” album? / Would Mike ever be willing to work with Robert Fripp? faq id: 180
MP: I was a little disappointed with it, mainly because I miss Bill and Tony who are my 2 favorite elements of KC. Yes, I would surely work with Robert Fripp if ever asked.
- What does Mike think of Spiral Architect? faq id: 182
MP: I like them alot. Reminds me of old WatchTower with a bit of John Arch vocals/melodies.
- What does Mike think of black and/or death metal faq id: 183
MP: I love heavy stuff, but my taste doesn't get *that* dark. I mean I love the typical stuff: Pantera, Machine Head, Slayer, Megadeth, old Metallica, Anthrax/SOD, Testament, Sepultura, etc. I used to love old King Diamond and Mercyful Fate, that stuff was pretty black. I also like some of the weirder progressive kinda Death Metal like Cynic and Meshuggah. That's about as evil as I get!
- What are some of Mike's favorite (non-commercial) online downloads? faq id: 184
MP: There's so much awesome stuff on the Internet. (and 95% of my downloads are the rare, live stuff) I've gotten alot of very cool stuff.
Some of my favorites are:
--Mr. Bungle - OU818 demo
-Metallica - Fan Can #1
-various Tenacious D stuff
-hours worth of cool covers
- What’s Mike’s favorite Frank Zappa album? faq id: 185
MP: Now that's a tough one! I think I mostly lean towards the mid 70's to mid 80's periods as my favorites. Beginning with “Overnight Sensation” & “Apostrophe” (both classics) up thru “Us and Them.” I especially love “Sheik Yerbouti” and “Joe's Garage” most of all. But also really love “Live in New York” and “Tinseltown Rebellion”....and also “One Size Fits All” and “Zoot Allures.” HELL - I LOVE EM ALL!!!! You're best bet is all 6 volumes of “You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore” ...that would be my desert island pick!
- What are Mike’s favorite concept albums? faq id: 186
MP: Pink Floyd - The Wall
The Who - Tommy & Quadrophenia
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood & Brave
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Kevin Gilbert - The Shaming Of The True
King Diamond - Abigail & Them
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage
Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
- What are Mike’s top ten CDs of 2000? faq id: 187
MP: I don't have my “official” end of year list because I am writing this from the studio, but I will try to do this from the best of my memory. (in no particular order):
1. Spock's Beard – V
2. Porcupine Tree – Lightbulb Sun
3. U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
4. Radiohead - Kid A (disappointing, but still top 10!)
5. Pain Of Salvation - The Perfect Element
6. Rage Against The Machine - Renegades
7. Air - Virgin Suicides Soundtrack
8. The Flower Kings - Space Revolver
9. Roger Waters - In The Flesh
and of course:
10. TransAtlantic - SMPTe (can I do that?)
- What are Mike’s favorite “new” bands? faq id: 188
MP: Spock's Beard, Pain Of Salvation, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, Ben Fold Five, Mr. Bungle, Tool, Meshuggah, Phish – these are only a few that come to mind...regularly check the "Hero of the Day" section of the Forum to see what I am currently listening to.
- What does Mike think of Sasquash’s drumming? faq id: 189
MP: Sasquash's drumming is definitely “kick ass.” But I could see where Tenacious D just wouldn't be comfortable as a power trio.
- Which drummers does Mike think are the best these days? faq id: 190
MP: I don't believe there is such thing as "best," only "favorites". As far as new-ish drummers from today, I dig: Carter Beauford, Virgil Donati, Heracio Hernandez, Jo Jo Mayer, Mike Mangini, Danny Carey (Tool) & Marco Minnemann are the first bunch that come to mind.
- What are Mike's top ten CDs of 2001? faq id: 493
MP: (in no particular order):
1. Tool - Lateralus
2. System Of A Down - Toxicity
3. Tenacious D
4. Ben Folds - Rockin The Suburbs
5. Weezer - Green Album
6. Neal Morse - It's Not Too Late
7. Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
8. Oysterhead - The Grand Pecking Order
9. Radiohead - Amnesiac
10. The Flower Kings - The Rainmaker
OK....11. TransAtlantic - Bridge Across Forever (can I do that?)
- What are Mike's top ten CDs of 2002? faq id: 494
MP: (in no particular order):
1. Spock's Beard - Snow
2. Peter Gabriel - Up
3. Pain Of Salvation - Remedy Lane
4. Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head
5. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
6. Opeth - Deliverance
8. Weezer - Maladroit
9. System Of A Down - Steal This Album
10. The Flower Kings - Unfold The Future
Very Honorable Mentions: Sigur Ros, Jughead, Beck, Meshuggah, Queens Of The Stone Age, Superjoint Ritual, Down and of course, Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (can I do that?)
- What is Mike's opinion of all of Rush's post-Signals albums? faq id: 495
MP: Well my love for old Rush is pretty well documented. For me, the obsession went up to Signals (coincidentally all of the Terry Brown albums). Since Signals, I'm not really *that* big of a fan. I did really like Counterparts. That's probably my favorite post-Signals album of their's. I still respect, admire and am interested in what they do, but for me, it's not the same as it was back in "the old days." I'm dying to hear them do a song longer than 7 or 8 minutes and with a less traditional arrangement.
- What are Mike's favorite CD's of all time? faq id: 496
MP: In no particular order
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
2. Abbey Road - The Beatles
3. Tommy - The Who
4. Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys
5. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
6. The Wall - Pink Floyd
7. Physical Grafitti - Led Zeppelin
8. Goodbye Yellowbrick Road - Elton John
9. Close to the Edge - Yes
10. Master of Puppets - Metallica
11. Misplaced Childhood - Marillion
12. Permanent Waves - Rush
13. Paul's Botique - Beastie Boys
14. OK Computer - Radiohead
15. Mr. Bungle - Mr. Bungle
16. Jellyfish - Spilt Milk
17. The Light - Spock's Beard
18. Vulgar Disply of Power - Pantera
19. Achtung Baby - U2
20. Ritual de lo Habitual - Jane's Addiction
- What does Mike think of Devin Townsend? faq id: 497
MP: Not to dis him, as I don't *not* like him, but I've never been a huge fan of his. I'm not crazy about that Steve Vai album that he did [Sex and Religion] and the solo stuff that people turned on to me, never 'got' me. So I'm not saying that I don't like Devin Townsend, but he never caught my ear.
- Who does Mike think is The Drummer of all drummers? faq id: 498
MP: Vinnie Colauita
- Who does Mike think is The Pioneer of all drummers? faq id: 499
MP: Terry Bozzio
- Who does Mike think is The Legend of all drummers? faq id: 500
MP: Ringo Starr or Neil Peart
- Who has been Mike's greatest musical influence? faq id: 501
MP: Frank Zappa